Hand sewn buttonholes on Shelter Half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand sewn buttonholes on Shelter Half

Does anyone have instructions (preferably with pictures) on how to hand sew the button holes on a shelter half? I've seen a few pictures and examples, but was looking for step by step instructions

(I don't have any experience doing hand sewn button holes)

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Hand sewn buttonholes on Shelter Half

This thread has some good info on hand sewing buttonholes and should be able to be adapted to shelter halves. This article is also a good reference for making your own shelter halves. Hope this helps.
    Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Comment

Two things I've learned that are crucial to making a good buttonhole are:
      1. Wax your thread really good. This keeps the thread from knotting or tangling while sewing.
      2. Cut your 'holes' with a sharp chisel. Much cleaner and easier than using scissors.

You aren't going to make a great looking buttonhole on your first try. Practice on some scrap material before starting on your project.
      Mark Taylor

Comment

I second what Mark said.

If you have access to someone who knows how to do button holes, have them show you how to do it. I learned the hard way and it would have made it a whole lot esier if some else showed me. Practice practice practice on scraps before you start your project.
        Brad Ireland
        Old Line Mess
        4th VA CO. A
        SWB

Comment

Simple search should bring up the thread that Mr. Thayer mentioned. ( no link given) I will offer this, if you follow those intructions to the 't', and TAKE YOUR TIME, there's no reason you can't make an acceptable button hole. Bee's Wax candles make a good thread run, as the wax tends to be stickier than modern candle wax.

Regards,
          Terry Billings
          Terry Billings,
          High School Teacher

Comment

You're also going to want to use a fairly thick thread or cord for the buttonholes, something along the lines of cotton crochet yarn. Size 3 is good but if you use Size 10 or above you will want to double the threads.

Below is a close-up of a buttonhole and grommet on an original shelter half that illustrates the use of doubled thread. I will also note that this buttonhole and grommet are not original to the tent but are in fact repairs done after it was initially issued.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Here's another good Lazy Jacks article on shelter halfs: http://www.lazyjacks.org.uk/shelter.htm
              [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
              Dirigo Grays
              CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
              Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Thanks for the help guys....i looked at the shelter half last night and it's just the grommets that need to be done. I think it came without grommet holes. I ordered it in 1998 from Jarnagin and I didn't relealize it at the time but I ordered it w/o the grommet holes already done and I never noticed it until recently as I don't use my shelter half too often (I prefer to just throw down my blanket and ground cloth with all my other gear). The various articles and pictures that were posted were also a big help too.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
                Last edited by robwall1861; 04-08-2010, 08:11 AM. Reason: Clarification
                Robert F. Wallace
                38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                X