Where to buy Period Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Period Thread?

Do any of you know who sells period thread? I was doing some mending and just ran out. I’ve checked the search and the Vendors list but can’t find it listed.

Thanks,
    Brian Wiswell
    Last edited by JimKindred; 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM.
    Brian Wiswell

Re: Whre to buy Period Thread?

What, specifically, are you mending? Sources will vary depending on your garments.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

S&S Sutler carries some but its not advertised on the website, you might have to call Tim and ask him what kind he has. Needle and Thread just outside Gettysburg carries it to!!
      Ronnie Raymond
      CVG, Arsenal Guards

Comment

Try Atlanta Thread & Supply's A & E button hole thread. This is the stuff Charlie Childs used to sell as well as others. Here is the link. http://store.atlantathread.com/size164500yd.html Hope this helps.
        Timothy J. Koehn
        Boone's Louisiana Battery
        Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
        http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

What Tim said!
          ...plus, its on sale right now!!!!
          ...plus the regular price is almost 30% cheaper than what CRC used to charge.

I ordered via internet on Saturday and my order arrived on Tuesday.
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I have had good luck with the thread that Richmond Depot carries. They offer both natural cotton (200 yds) and logwood dyed (100 yds) for reasonable prices.

You may also want to check out William Booth, Draper. While he caters mainly to the Rev War crowd, he has a large selection of linen thread in all sizes and colors. He is also one of my go to sources for fabric.
            Bryan Beard
            Virginian

Comment

Thank you gentlemen! just what I needed.

Brian Wiswell
              Brian Wiswell

Comment

Anybody tried Gutermann linen thread? I've only seen the cotton Gutermann in the US, but having a spool of the linen shipped from the UK is actually pretty cheap if you order from this ebay seller:

According to the manufacturer's website it's size 30.

Would size 30 be large enough for buttonholes?
                Will Chappell

Comment

Ben Tart has skeins (100 yds) of natural cotton logwood dyed thread for $10. See his website: http://www.bentart.com/other.html
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                  Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                  Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                  Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                  The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                  X