Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian hat

Please forgive the newbie question.

Is there any photographic or written evidence of a newly enlisted Federal Trans-Miss recruit continuing to wear his old civilian hat (the hat he wore when he enlisted) rather than the issued Hardee or forage cap?

If so, how limited or widespead might this practice be?
    Ray White

Re: Civilian hat

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...r-Observations
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

We have seen and read that thread, which is part of the debate, since Rays question was more focused on "newly enlisted Federal Trans-Miss recruit" . Talking about territorial regiments augmenting the regular Army in the Dept Of New Mexico (you know way far west Trans-Miss). Troops from Colorado, or the California Column. We do know that Santa Fe being the dept HQ, was the major supply hub, however any thoughts on volunteer mind set vs regular army "peer" pressure to conform.
      Aka
      Wm Green :D
      Illegitimi non carborundum
      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

I came across this post late and I will post more tomorrow if not covered by anyone else before I can get to it...Troy? Don?.
        But since you mention Cal Vols...Carleton was pushing the 1858 hat, even when he was with the 1st Dragoons at Tejon before the war. If those troops wore something else, they were few and far between and it was because they lost their hat and not because they didn't want to conform. Carleton was pretty specific on his men's uniform and packing list.
        They were not required to wear all trappings, ie. brass, plume, etc.

Are you adverse to wearing what Major Brackett described when he said, "If the whole earth had been ransacked, it is difficult to tell where a more ungainly piece of furniture could have been found."
        Rae G. Whitley
        [I]Museum of the Horse Soldier[/I]

Tucson, AZ

Comment

Working...
        X