Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken Noe's Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army After 1861, a must read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Noe's Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army After 1861, a must read.

I think that Ken Noe's new book, Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army After 1861, is a must read for everyone doing a CS Military and Civilian Impression. The book is ground breaking and I think the best book out this year. Noe examines the soldiers that came after the first wave of patriotism that rushed zealous single young men into the army during the first months of hte war. So, that means the majority of the units that we portray. Noe breaks things down into the following chapters and examines each of these motivators and detractors. 1. Duty, Honor, Country 2. Slavery 3. Women 4. Hatred 5. Pay 6. Religion 7. Comrades 8. Weariness 9. Battle. Of particular interest are the chapters on Slavery, Women, and Religion. I highly recommend this one folks, if you are serious about a CS portrayal then this is a must read.
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Re: Ken Noe's Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army After 1861, a must read.

Thanks for the review, Lee. I'll put it on my list of books to read.
    Roy Queen

Comment

Re: Ken Noe's Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army After 1861, a must read.

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
      The book is ground breaking and I think the best book out this year. Noe examines the soldiers that came after the first wave of patriotism that rushed zealous single young men into the army during the first months of hte war.
      Mr. White:

I am voracious reader, especially CS focused material.

Could you please share an example of the primary support for a groundbreaking aspect or new information which would help impressions ? An idea of something this book showed you that isn't known presently in the hobby or fresh to someone of your caliber as a historian on CS matters ?

Thanks in advance and for the review.

Chris Rideout
      Tampa, Florida

Comment

Buy it and find out if the value equals the information, if you can't afford it get it through interlibrary loan as it's worth the effort. Whether doing a CS impression or US it's valable in understanding the men of the time a little better. IMO the words of the men at that time are what's valuable in understanding them, this book uses those instead of postwar Lost Cause idealogy.

And another review that adds.

Last edited by Johan Steele; 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM. Reason: correction of link
        Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
        SUVCW Camp 48
        American Legion Post 352
        [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Steele View Post
          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+1861&x=7&y=17
          Buy it and find out if the value equals the information, if you can't afford it get it through interlibrary loan as it's worth the effort. Whether doing a CS impression or US it's valable in understanding the men of the time a little better. IMO the words of the men at that time are what's valuable in understanding them, this book uses those instead of postwar Lost Cause idealogy.
          I also see now on edit you have read the book too......that is great !!!!!

I would be interested to see what words of the men themselves, if anything you will post in terms of insight.

Mr. Lee White suggesting a groundbreaking book on the CS soldier for me is like Chuck Norris recommending a book on Martial Arts..... There has to be some pretty damn significant information gained in those pages to warrant such a weighty testimonial.

CJ Rideout
          Tampa, Florida
          Last edited by OldKingCrow; 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM. Reason: "There is no need for anymore of that here these days."

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
            I also see now on edit you have read the book too......that is great !!!!!

I would be interested to see what words of the men themselves, if anything you will post in terms of insight.

Mr. Lee White suggesting a groundbreaking book on the CS soldier for me is like Chuck Norris recommending a book on Martial Arts..... There has to be some pretty damn significant information gained in those pages to warrant such a weighty testimonial.

CJ Rideout
            Tampa, Florida
            Amazon has this interesting "Look Inside" feature that allows you to read excerpts of the book: http://www.amazon.com/Reluctant-Rebe...der_0807833770

You can do a search using this function, taking a word like "conscription," for example, and get some interesting quotes. Give it a try. You may or may not call the results "groundbreaking," but they're interesting.
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Although I have not read the book in its entirety, I have skimmed some of the chapters when Lee has had it with him at work. However, I have attended a presentation by Dr. Kenneth Noe concerning this publication at a symposium in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, hosted by Stones River National Battlefield. The symposium content and what I have read was very impressive and insightful to say the least. This study of the motivators of soldiers between 1861 and those from 1862-63 (second rounders) is a must for any true Civil War enthusiest or historian.

-CY
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
              [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for that report, CY

I just ordered a copy yesterday via Amazon and am looking forward to it.
                Was the symposium with Dr. Noe primarily surrounding the content of this book??

thanks,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

In brief, the book discusses the motivation for enlisting, what kept the men in the ranks, and then combat motivation of the second round of CS enlistments. Basically, the boys of 61 were very different from the men of 62 and beyond. So men from the same county who enlisted in 61 would be different from those in 62, etc. Theres a lot more and he really fleshes out the arguments. One thing that also impressed me was the amount of "new" source material that he uses, Army of Tennessee sources that I havent seen or heard of before.

Lee
                  Lee White
                  Researcher and Historian
                  "Delenda Est Carthago"
                  "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

I too have it in route and will read it in pretty short order.

Edited: Mr. M.S. Schaffner - PM sent on annotations supporting conscription numbers.

On edit:

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
                    One thing that also impressed me was the amount of "new" source material that he uses, Army of Tennessee sources that I havent seen or heard of before.

Lee
                    Cannot wait - A kid at Christmas.

Chris Rideout
                    Tampa, Florida
                    Last edited by OldKingCrow; 06-10-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I'll put it on my list for sure. My great-great grandfather (and his brothers) were part of that "second round" - They enlisted in the spring/summer of 1862 from SW Virginia and I'd love to see what the author says about men like them.
                      "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                      Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                      http://buffsticks.us

Comment

Working...
                      X