Regarding iron dye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding iron dye.

Gents, lend me your ears. Recently, I produced a batch of iron dye using this recipe. Consequently, I highly recommend it, as it worked magic on a heavy piece of scrap tack leather, and produced a very steady and rich black sheen. But I digress; my dilemma is concerning my cartridge box. I suspect it to be an old Jarnigan '61 Federal, which I picked up second hand. It must be quite old, as the leather had faded to a rusty brown color. As I began to apply to iron dye (which of course was tested first, with success), the leather took the stain in some spots, turning them black, while other areas remained brown, despite my repeated efforts to dye them. Now I'm stuck with a cartridge box that looks slightly similar to the old Vietnam tiger stripe camouflage.
    I had planned on investing in a new box sometime this year anyway; is this a sign from above that I should go ahead and do that, or is there a blacking any of you would recommend for accouterments? Thanks for any input.
    Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Re: Regarding iron dye.

Hi Caleb,
    Though not the expert of our leather masters on this forum; if any oil at all remained on the leather, it would have prevented the dye from taking. Perhaps a good wash, time to dry, and re-application may fix the problem. That's what I would do as a novice myself.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Brandon is right. oil or fad prevents the dye from getting in the fibres and react. Theerfore the surface must be really oild fee/clean. If you staion the leather with soft water, sal soda and extract of logwood and dye it afterwards with iron dye the black becomes even deeper and more durable.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Hey Caleb,
        Also I believe Jarnigan's stuff may be dyed with varnish or something. The one I have almost has a plastic sheen to it. Maybe its a latex paint/dye. This would also prevent the taking of dye. Just a thought...
        Wade Rogers

Comment

Thanks for the answers, gents. All just confirming my fears; might be time to start looking for that new box. . .
          Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Murph View Post
            might be time to start looking for that new box. . .
            Not so fast. There are other supported options.

A) Extant originals with their outer flap cut off and used
            B) Boxes with replacement flaps sewn on.

I would bet DJ would sell you a replacement "flap" to sew on or perhaps rehab your otherwise structurally sound box.

CJ Rideout
            Tampa, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow
              A) Extant originals with their outer flap cut off and used
              B) Boxes with replacement flaps sewn on.

I would bet DJ would sell you a replacement "flap" to sew on or perhaps rehab your otherwise structurally sound box.
              This is an interesting notion. I'm familiar with examples of soldiers' cutting off the main flap of their cartridge boxes (I assume to make loader quicker?), but not with the idea of the flap actually being replaced. Was this a Confederate practice to attempt to avoid replacing the whole box?
              Caleb Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Murph View Post
                This is an interesting notion. I'm familiar with examples of soldiers' cutting off the main flap of their cartridge boxes (I assume to make loader quicker?), but not with the idea of the flap actually being replaced. Was this a Confederate practice to attempt to avoid replacing the whole box?
                I don't know. If I had to guess, the highest probability of occurrence of CS issuance would most likely be attributed to a pre-war dated cartridge box which had seen armory repair in former service and use supporting a State militia weapon. I think there is one in the CS EOG repaired accordingly (don't have it in front of me).

CJ Rideout
                Tampa, Florida

Comment

The missing cartridge box flaps - IMO at least as a wartime modification I suspect they were done to harvest the leather to patch something else. I have seen CS boxes where part or all of the outer flap was cut off. Where all the flap was cut, sometimes another strap was sewn on to be able to close the box. After the war, if the whole flap was cut off, it could be just to salvage a big piece of leather. It is hard to make a judgement call on originals like that.

On the leather dye - David Jarnigan wrote an article in one of the collecting magazines (I think North South Trader) on the process of dying leather. Currently they (Jarnigan) dye their leather by the hide which is the way it was done originaly. I would suggest giving him a call if you want more information. Going back to the brown leather - that is from using hemlock for the dye, which was a period process. You see original US leather items that are a beautiful brown from bring origionly dyed with Hemlock.

If you want a new box - buy a new box - you have a box that looks like it has seen a lot of use as well.

George
                  George Susat
                  Confederate Guard

Comment

I would try some of the strongest rubbing alcohol you can get also. It should remove the oil from the leather. You might also try giving it a light sanding with fine sand paper to remove the very out most layer of leather. It will also take out some gouges and scratches out and give you a smooth finish to re-dye. I am considering doing this myself, as I have an old set of leathers, from FC I believe, and they have the rubbery almost painted on finish as well. Worse comes to worse, you remove the flap as instructed above and sew a new tab on.

Comment

Working...
                    X