Carpet haversacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet haversacks

(Just fyi: I tried the search function, but so far found nothing to answer my question. If this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction.)

Can anyone provide documentation on the use of CS haversacks made of carpet material? I've read about carpet material being used for coverlets/blankets, so it would seem like a natural move to produce haversacks from the same material.

I understand that the majority of military haversacks were made from canvas, and these were the type most commonly issued to the troops. However, countless soldiers' letters mention items being sent from home (shirts, socks, etc.) that may have been constructed differently than what was mass-produced by military depots. Although some units ban the use of carpet haversacks altogether, can anyone provide documentation to the contrary?

The notion of "all the soldiers carried this type of X" is a little hard to believe. That many people spread across a country, with only certain materials available in some regions, had to create more variety in the goods produced.

I appreciate any info you can provide.
    Rich Stonikas
    Co. D 17th Mississippi Vol. Inf.

Re: Carpet haversacks

Rich,

Not a haversack but interesting:

http://collections.dva.state.wi.us/U...-075150413961#

Edit - I should add that this bag is made from a piece of green and yellow jacquard silk drapery fabric, just in case you missed it in the description. It's the only bag, haversack, etc. I've seen in person that does not conform to the "all soldiers carried X" you refer to.
    Last edited by GreencoatCross; 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM. Reason: Because.
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Reb View Post
      ...can anyone provide documentation to the contrary?
      A word of caution here:
      Justifying the use of any item cannot be made by the absence of evidence that it was not used.

You need to prove that it was used. To do otherwise is simply pandering to the old "if they'd had it..." argument.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Rich,

Please read the haversack thread in the civilian forum. A haversack or haversack-style bag seems to have had specific uses in civilian life and not necessarily the same use as the military world.

Soldiers obtained clothing from home to supplement their issued clothing or to replace ill-fitting or uncomfortable issue items. I can't recall ever seeing a soldier write home "send me a haversack".
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Along with the famous B. F. Pendleton Tait jacket is his haversack shown in the attached pic. I know what it looks like to me. You be the judge.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I've seen a Haversack made of a deep Red carpet material in Gettysburg, It had an asymetrical flap, and a webbing sling. Don't quite remember the prevalience of it though.
            Tyler Gibson
            The Independent Rifles

Comment

The Horse soldier in Gettysburg, has (or recently had) a carpetbag that was id'd to a Mass. officer. His name and unit, H.W. Hale Co A 52nd Mass, was stenciled on the interior of the flap. I have come across two other carpetbags on internet auction sites identified to soldiers (see photos below). Many of these carpetbags are not large, but are smaller haversack-sized bag, with a single shoulder strap. Nearly every period carpetbag I have seen has a circular lock on the body of the bag, and a locking tab that attaches to the flap. All three of the soldier identified bags I speak of have this identical lock on them.

As a side note, the Atlanta History center has a carptebag knapsack in their collections. I have forgotten who this bag was id'd to.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NYCivilWar; 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM.
              Respectfully,
              -Kyle M. Stetz
              Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

So are we shifting the previous definition of "carpetbag" to now mean a "carpet haversack"? Each of the photos offered so far are carpetbags.

I've got a carpet bag that is roughly the average dimensions of 4 originals I was able to get measurements of and I tried to rig it to carry at Bummers. It never felt right, so I eventually went back to a regular US issued haversack for my impression.

Is there any evidence of a depot issued haversack made of carpet?

Is there any evidence, written or photographic, of a haversack made of carpet?

If not, the thing is rarer than jaguar pants and is not PEC/NUG. Let's be careful of endorsing something less common than jaguar pants.
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

We're not redefining anything, the name of the thread is.... "carpet haversacks"

Assuming the bags Mr. Stetz posted are different than the one that I have seen, I would venture to say that carpet haversacks were at least three times as common as jaguar pants.

As to being undoccumented, would the soldier always specify a carpetbag from a carpet haversack, assuming there are doccumented accounts of soldiers with carpetbags. Albiet something I don't have a pic of, I've seen an original "carpet haversack"

There areno depot issue carpet haversacks made to my knoledge. There is plenty of doccumentation of soldiers getting the folks at home to send them different things, so I would guess that the original haversacks were sent from home, not depot issued.

Even considering the loss f the originals due to use after the war, as well as just being thrown away for being too worn out/used, etc. I wouldn't think everyone should have a carpet haversack, but one or two wouldn't be terrible, IMO.
                  Tyler Gibson
                  The Independent Rifles

Comment

To the Ladies of Texas:
                    The Commanding General announces to you that (20,000) twenty thousand haversacks are required in the army. These are sachels about 14 inches wide and 12 deep, with a flap from the top buttoned on the outside of the sachel, and slung by a belt over the shoulder, passing under the arm.
                    They are absolutely necessary to the efficiency of the soldier in the field, and cannot be made by the Quartermaster Department, for want of material. The best material is strong, unbleached cotton, but as it is also scarce in private families, they may be made of carpeting, curtain calico of double thickness, table covers, cotton or woolen, or any strong material whatever; and the belt passing over the shoulder and under the arm can be made of the same material, doubled and hemmed, or of buckskin or leather.
                    The noble example which you have set of undying patriotism and the most unselfish devotion, inspires the Commanding General with a hope that he does not call upon you in vain, when he asks you, as he does now, to furnish with the least possible delay, each, as many haversacks or sachels of this description as you can make, or induce your friends to make. They should be sewed in the strongest manner, and made of the strongest material which can be procured. Should any of the ladies desire them to go to particular regiments in which they have friends, by fixing the name of the regiment to the articles, they will be assorted by the Q. M., and forwarded according to address.
                    Every lady in Texas is requested to forward as many as she can make to the Quartermaster nearest her residence, and all Quartermasters East of the Colorado are directed to send them, as soon as a sufficient number has been received, to Capt. Wharton, at Houston, and those West of the Colorado, to Capt. Prescott, Q. M. at San Antonio.
                    Quartermasters of regiments, battalions and detached companies, are hereby directed to make requisitions at once. Those East of the Colorado on Capt. Wharton, and those West on Captain Prescott, for haversacks, in accordance with the number of men present with their corps.
                    J. Bankhead Magruder,
                    Major General Commanding
                    Dist. Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
                    Nic Clark
                    2017 - 24 years in the hobby
                    Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Great post, Nic. Thanks for the further enlightenment.

And to Joe's question above, the item carried by Pendleton is a haversack vs. a carpet bag, although it's difficult to tell from the picture I posted. I have also read a letter written by a soldier in the 11th NCT to the folks at home asking them to make and send him a haversack as he had none.
                      Last edited by roundshot; 06-16-2010, 06:36 AM.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                      X