French musket tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French musket tools?

As a new owner of a Belgian made Mle 1842T musket, I was curious about a few things - perhaps some of the Frenchmen here on the forum might know a little something.
    In looking about for information on what was issued to Infantry in the French Army, I came across a reference to a "Nécessaire d'armes". This was in a book from the 1850s, no illustrations at hand - and I haven't turned up much from any internet searches.
    My French is not too good but this description fits the sort of cleaning kit issued with French arms from the Chassepot to the MAS 36. These have an oval iron body, a screwdriver blade that fits in one end, a little oil bottle that plugs one end of the kit, and sometimes, a little cloth bag that holds small assorted doo-dads inside.
    I am not sure what the "tampon" is, other than its made of hard wood. Of course the first idea is that it is a tompion, but that would scarce fit inside, and I know this was what the frizzen stall was on an 18th century French flintlock. Perhaps a sort of snap cap that fits in the nose of the hammer?
    Does anyone know what French musket tools of this time looked like? Possibly some came over with the muskets. In some relic boxes I have seen little leaf shaped two ended screwdriver blades that look like the sort this had.
    Here is the description:

Nécessaire d'armes, modèle 1831. Corps du nécessaire : boîte, fond, tampon en bois dur, rivets du tampon, fente. — Huilier : corps, fond, trou taraudé, bouchon, rondelle en cuir. — Lame de tournevis. — Bourrenoix : tige, tête, trou. — Chasse-noix. — Trousse : compartiments pour la lame de tournevis, le bourre-noix et le chasse-noix. — L'ancien modèle n'avait pas de tampon en bois, et la fente pour la lame de tournevis était au milieu de la boîte.

My other question - the relic hunters round here scratch up a bewildering assortment of old bullets, seemingly from every corner of Europe. Looking at a bullet in a shop the other day, a big Belgian .69, it struck me that I had a good idea how it was rolled....but not one idea how it was packed. Were they in packs of ten plus caps? What did the boxes look like? I had never thought much about it - the bullets are here, and they had to come in something - I assume it was ammo boxes similar to the US models, as so much of our small arms design was French; posibly our ammunition packing was copied as well. I would love to make a Belgian or Austrian ammo crate....

So, if any of you have some photos or links to see non - English import musket tools, ammunition packaging, or tools, I would greatly appreciate it, and many thanks to any advice (Or sharp translations) given!
    David Stone

Re: French musket tools?

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page here http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/fusil...le%201866.html
    You can see an illustration of the sort of thing I am asking about, this is the earliest type I can find an illustration of. The smaller tools inside are different, but the body, and oil bottle, etc, must be about the same.
    If anybody has any interest in what a vent pick for the older french muskets are, they can be seen by looking at the info on the muskets from 1842 to 1857 on this site.

I noticed some interesting small items on a copy of an illustration of Godillots cataloge, but I cannot upload a photo for some reason for an attachment at the moment. They are not the necessaire d'armes - but I cannot quite tell if they are some sort of nipple wrench/screwdriver or some kind of needle case/thimble carrier for a housewife. Picture is just too small....
    David Stone

Comment

Re: French musket tools?

I've finally found a little more on these things - thought I'd share. The earlier tools - 1820s - for the French muskets had the screwdriver blade mounted in the side of the handle. This is the "Manceaux". In 1831 the screwdriver was relocated to the end, and evidently only the tools within and the blades changed over the years for various arms. You may see some fine originals here...

I have not yet found what answered for a nipple wrench. By the descriptions it is a separate piece and not an attachment for the "necesssaire d'armes". I'll post a link, if I ever find one...
      David Stone

Comment

Working...
      X