Tin Ovens for Individuals? - Far West reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tin Ovens for Individuals? - Far West reference

I recently came across a period reference to California Volunteers breaking up and leaving behind tin ovens in order to lighten their knapsacks while chasing Indians in Arizona in 1864. I've seen early tin ovens and roasters for use at the home hearth but not seen any of a size that could be placed in a knapsack. Anyone else come across period reflecting ovens, possibly of a type that would fold to fit in a knapsack?

Due to the far West's lack of good roads, railways, or riverboats the soldiers here were most often issued raw flour instead of hard bread. The skill of baking was stressed in the General Orders and the men were trained to make earthen ovens in Yuma before setting off on their march to Texas in the summer of 1862. While on the march such construction is impractical and it is mentioned that soldiers would work up a dough with the flour, wrap it around a stick, and toast it before the fire. Without the luxury of hardtack, the value of a small tin oven can well be imagined.

Considering that the soldiers were breaking them up it would seem they were not too difficult to acquire or were more effort than their worth. Miners were flocking into Central Arizona in 1863-4 following the discovery of gold near Prescott and with them came merchants wanting to supply the frontier adventurer's needs.

Once I get the original source transcribed I'll post the quote here but I wanted to ask if anyone has come across such an animal as a personal tin oven.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Re: Tin Ovens for Individuals? - Far West reference

I've seen and studied one original folding tin reflector oven, but could not see it fitting in a knapsack or having been carried by a soldier. It was far too large and obviously intended for transportation by a wagon or pack mule. The collector gave the one I saw a date in the early 1870's +/- and was found in the remains of a sod house in western SD which could put it's actual useage anywhere up to and past the turn of the century. I don't know enough on the subject to contest such a conclusion.

There were notches cut in the back and sides presumably for racks. Measurements were: Back 18" x 24" sides were triangular and folded inward. There had been another piece on top that IMO had been a folding lid (to fully enclose whatever was inside to retain heat) of sorts but that is only a guess as that bit was missing.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
    X