Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beeswax cakes

Morning Men
    Thought before I flung myself into the abyss of the web, I would put this question out here. I'm looking for a 'less expensive' source for pure beeswax. The local 'craft' store here wants a whopping $24 for a one pound block. I nearly swallowed my tongue..

anyone already have a good source for beeswax? I have ten gallon water keg I want to coat so I need a good amount.

Thanks

Ronnie
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Re: Source for beeswax

Try to find a bee keeper in your area, most will sell beeswax in large quantities much cheaper than craft stores.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Dare I say e-bay. There are usually several different folks selling it on there.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Farmer's markets are where I have the most luck. Look for the people selling honey. If they don't have wax out on the table, ask them if they have any they'd be willing to sell. They could always bring it with them next week.

I picked up a one pound block this past weekend for $8 this way.
        Dan Wambaugh
        Wambaugh, White, & Company
        www.wwandcompany.com
        517-303-3609
        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Originally posted by lthull3rdla View Post
          Morning Men
          Thought before I flung myself into the abyss of the web, I would put this question out here. I'm looking for a 'less expensive' source for pure beeswax. The local 'craft' store here wants a whopping $24 for a one pound block. I nearly swallowed my tongue..

anyone already have a good source for beeswax? I have ten gallon water keg I want to coat so I need a good amount.

Thanks

Ronnie
          Ronnie,

We have pure beeswax by the pound on our website (www.raggedsoldier.com) for a reasonable price. It is listed in the sundries and craft supplies section. Contact me privately at vmescher@vt.edu if you have any questions.
          Virginia Mescher
          vmescher@vt.edu
          http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

I like these folks- https://www.dadant.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=235

As you can see, they offer beeswax for $5.00 a pound which isn't bad. I have been very satisfied with it.

I did try for a while to get with local beekeepers but the main source around these parts was an older gent who recently passed away so that didn't pan out.

My two cents,
            Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Attached is a link for the gentleman that I buy honey from here in Central Iowa. He offers beeswax for sale online for $6 per pound.

Ebert Honey
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Thanks folks I think I can find some beeswax now!

Ronnie
                Ronnie Hull
                Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

and yet another source

Brushy Mountain Bee Farm in Mount Airy NC
                  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Wax/products/73/
                  Peter Koch
                  North State Rifles

Comment

While I doubt you'll be attending the Virginia State Fair next fall, I saw a ton at an entire exhibit last fall...

Another more stable and reliable way to find beeswax is to try your local Tandy Leather Store. I don't recall them carrying one pound blocks though.

Evan O'Dell

Comment

beeswax cakes

I've got a tin drum canteen that I just can't keep from rusting inside. I'm looking to line it with beeswax to cut down on the rust, but am having trouble finding a reasonable source. Blockade runner sells beeswax cakes for $2.95, but want nearly $10 to ship it. Does anybody have a more reasonable source for beeswax? Also, does anybody have any knowledge of how much wax is necessary to well-cover the insides of a 6 inch tin drum canteen?

Thanks for any and all help.
                      Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Re: beeswax cakes

You can get beeswax cakes on ebay for $1 plus a couple bucks shipping.
                        Will Chappell

Comment

You should also be able to source Beeswax from art suppliers, maybe some hardware stores (its great for freeing up stiff drawers and lubricating nails for nailing hardwood), hmm do you have any local farmers markets or beekeepers?

Cheers

Mr Chris Collins

Comment

If you have a Michael's craft store you can get a bee's wax candle for about a dollar or a lb or 5 lb block in natural or bleached. A part of the candle will be more than enough to do a canteen.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

As has been mentioned before you can pick up 5 lb. blocks from just about any craft store, look in the candle making section.
                              -Brandon Hand
                              48th NY Co. F
                              Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Working...
                              X