CSA sheet brass/ copper buckle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA sheet brass/ copper buckle question

Gents, Does anyone know the average thickness of a CSA sheet brass or copper belt buckle ?
    The various sights on the web give L" x W", but not thickness. Thanks, IAC.
    Ignazio Ciccolini

Re: CSA sheet brass/ copper buckle question

My unit bought some of the sheet brass buckles for our militia uniforms from Blockade Runner. Mine measures .035".
    Steve Blancard
    Corporal
    13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Sir, Thanks for the info. Much appreciated !
      Ignazio A Ciccolini (iac)
      Ignazio Ciccolini

Comment

Originally posted by ndnchf View Post
        My unit bought some of the sheet brass buckles for our militia uniforms from Blockade Runner. Mine measures .035".
        .035 = 20 gauge
        Russell L. Stanley
        Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
        Co.A 45th Mississippi
        Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
        Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Not to insult Blockade Runner, but a measurement from one of their repros is not the same as measuring an original. Maybe they would share all three dimensions from any originals they own and/or have dug.

While I have been afforded the opportunity to handle a couple originals, I failed to take any measurements.
          Pat Brown

Comment

The Mullinax book gives measurements for length and width in millimeters on several sheet metal plates although it does not include thickness of the plates. I have seen and handled quite a few original dug sheet metal buckles and the modern repro's always seem thicker then the originals I have seen. That being said I never measured the thickness of the plates but by feel I can say they varied in thickness, some are thicker gauge and some are quite thin and flimsy. Being as originals are available and out there to examine your best bet may be to find one original you really like and copy that one exactly in regards to thickness and size.

Regards,
            -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
            93rd New York Coffee Cooler
            [I]
            "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
            [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

I am not sure which buckle you are referring to. Is it the rectangular clip corner militia type, cs egg plate or other? Some were stamped brass and some were flat sheet brass.
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                I am not sure which buckle you are referring to. Is it the rectangular clip corner militia type, cs egg plate or other? Some were stamped brass and some were flat sheet brass.
                Sir, The sheet brass/copper buckles cut from larger imported sheets of metal.
                Ignazio A Ciccolini
                Ignazio Ciccolini

Comment

Working...
                X