Cartridge Box Plate Attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartridge Box Plate Attachment

I know this is a very simple question for you old timers, but as a newbie I haven't got a clue. What is the most authentic manner of attaching the cartridge box plate to the flap on the cardridge box? Also for you USSS out there which size cartridge box plate was used with the Sharps Cartridge
    Box? And do any of you USSS know where a guy can get the wood blocks for a Sharps Cartridge Box? Thanks for any assistance you can give the rookie.
    R. Jones
    Flagstaff, AZ

Richard, please use your full name when posting - Mike Chapman
    Last edited by dusty27; 02-20-2004, 10:09 PM.

Re: Cartridge Box Plate Attachment

A wedged shape piece of leather worked for me. I can't recall just where I saw it but I think it was the Union EOG (Echos of Glory).

And as for being a "rookie", I think we've all been there. Still there myself.

Matthew Easley
    Barleycorn Boys
    Matthew Easley

Comment

Johnson's book has some good photos of the attachment.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

Also for you USSS out there which size cartridge box plate was used with the Sharps Cartridge Box? And do any of you USSS know where a guy can get the wood blocks for a Sharps Cartridge Box? Thanks for any assistance you can give the rookie.

It used the small M1839 plate.
        I know of no one offering the Sharps box tins with the wooden inserts. (I had a set of tins made, from the specimen in Johnson's book, and had a former friend, (a graphic artist) set the hole pattern, cut out the blocks [a little bit higher than needed to alllow for bit damage to the hole tops which was then cut down to size], pasted on the paper hole template, and drilled the holes with a drill press.)

Heinrich Schmidt
        Company "A," 1st U.S.S.S. (LH)
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Gentlemen;

thank you all for all of your assistance. I was vaguely aware that a piece of leather was used to secure the loops on the reverse side of the plate, but was not positive, and I wanted to be correct. Also many thanks for the info on the correct size plate to use. I purchased a Sharps Cartridge Box @ Jardigan's and it came with tins, but not the blocks. Thanks again to all for your assistance.
          Richard Jones
          Flagstaff, AZ :D

Comment

Hallo Herr Jones!

Unless it has changed, you may find your tins are set up for standard rifle cartridges, with the interior dividers in the top portion.
            I had a "progressive mainstream" pard who did not want to have "Sharps tins" made, so he unsoldered the dividers (the wooden blocks hid the remaining solder smears). But, he had problems as he used the dimensions of an original Berdan Sharps box to base his block size and hole spacing and arrangement off of- which did not quite work for the repro "rifle cartridge" tins.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Richard, here is a pic of two small leather wedges being used to secure the brass plate. I have also seen one long piece used as well. Hope this helps.

Bob Clayton
              [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
              Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
              [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

:D Gentlemen;

once again many thanks for the assistance. The pics are great, that is exactly what I needed. Also the idea on the tins & blocks is most helpful, I will have to wait till my Sharps arrives (on order) before I will know about the size of the cartridges I will be using (it's a Shilo Sharps in 54 cal.). Then I will have to find someone with a drill press. Thank you all once again. For a newbie who does not have all of the research materials at hand you guys are a GREAT help.
                Richard Jones
                Flagstaff, AZ

Comment

Working...
                X