NCO Chevrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCO diminished Rank

Here's a good one. This is the 149th PA, Co. D, at Petersburg. Note that the NCO's are all wearing NCO belts rather than stripes (or a combination of both).
    Attached Files
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Cool picture. But I like it for the extended length sack coats on the soldier next to the officer and on the end on the viewer's right. 4 and 5 buttons fronts on those jackets, and is that an exterior breast pocket?

Check the styles and colors of hats. And look at the majority of the stand collars are worn turned down as roll collars.

Cody Hauser
      [FONT=Verdana]Cody Hauser[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross
        Casey,

Braun wears an enlistedman's fatigue blouse with unusually small sergeant's chevron on right sleeve only .
        Scott, etal,

He may very well have stripes on the other sleeve, with the small size and the angle of his arm we may never know.

Crabby
        Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
        John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Ahoy!

I remember posting that message, with the tiny chevrons...

There are several more images of 1st Sergeants with the lozenge only I'll to dig up, as well as the one of the microscopic chevrons. Give me until this afternoon to wrassle 'em out of my overflowing hardrive.
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Speaking philosophically, if we all start wearing lozenge-only, will we be doing it just because it's kyewl? Rather than because it's underrepresented?

Reduced rank insignia for officers seems to have been more widespread, so when many of us started going to that we moved toward a better representation of history. Reduced rank for first sergeants really does seem to have been an exception rather than an underrepresented norm.
            Bill Watson
            Stroudsburg

Comment

Bill,

I feel it may have been more widespread, but only during a certain period, such as the Atlanta Campaign, or the Petersburg Campaign. This period of the war, is also when you started to see more officers not wearing rank, or wearing diminished rank. The Bucktail Photo, and the 1st Photo of the Cav guys, many of the NCO's have no rank at all on their coats, they are just wearing the belts. You see alot of images of NCO's with no stripes on with just a belt, and trouser stripe. The only reason I checked into it, I was talking with some guys in my group about it, but couldnt find the image I was looking for.

Comment

Gotcha.

I much enjoy the Atlanta/Carolinas Campaign events down South where fellows embrace the order that went out directing the troops to show appropriate stripes even if they had to cut up discarded trousers to do it.
                Bill Watson
                Stroudsburg

Comment

Charles,

I cant remember where I saw it, but I do remember reading about an NCO who was promoted to LT, and was wearing his enlisted frock for his officers coat. Not sure if he had both the stripes and shoulder straps on it though. But this would be the exception rather than the rule. If I recall he was promoted during the campaign, so there was no time to get custom officer gear.

Comment

The image of Sergeant Braun has a ghost on the back where an Internal Revenue stamp had once been, which indicates late war. He is also wearing, what I have termed, an Army of Georgia Badge on his blouse (see my article in MC&H Magazine). These badges only show up about the time of the Grand Review and have the Corps insignia of the units in the Army of Georgia on them. Other images in this collection were taken in Milwaukee when the men returned home. Braun was a veteran of the Carolina Campaign, which is possibly when the NCOs were wearing reduced chevrons. Yes, there may be a chevron on his left arm, but it is almost impossible to tell the way he is turned.

Army of Georgia Badge worn by James F. Sawyer. Residence as Gibraltar, Door County, WI when he enlisted there on Mar. 28, 1864. He was assigned as a private in Company K, 21st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was wounded at Savannah, Georgia. He was transferred as unassigned to the 3rd (reorganized.) Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on June 8, 1865 and was mustered out on July 18, 1865.:
                    Last edited by ScottCross; 02-21-2007, 12:06 PM.
                    Scott Cross
                    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Chevron Placement

Pards,

I have recently been asked to serve as corporal of my company and I'm just about to began sewing my chevrons on, but I was hopeing someone could point me in the right direction for the correct placement of them; As I have wondered: Is there anywhere that states the correct distance above the elbow and down from the shoulder for the chevrons to be placed?? All I could find as of late was the U.S. regulations saying:

"1549. The rank of non-commissioned officers will be marked by chevrons upon both sleeves of the uniform coat and overcoat, above the elbow, "

So am I to understand that you just sew them on above the elbow?? or is there any more specific distance...was just wondering and hoping for some useful input....

Thanks,

Jacob Thompson
                      [SIZE=1][FONT=Book Antiqua]Jacob Thompson[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]
                      [B]Western Blues Mess[/B][/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]17th Missouri, Co. G.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]River Rats Mess[/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Chevron Placement

Hi Jacob,

Here's a suggestion: open up some coffee-table Civil War books and look for images of corporals.

You will quickly find that, when it came to placement of NCO stripes, there was often significant variation from one individual to another.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hallo!

Agreed.
                          Look at some period images and then decide what "strikes you fancy" and copy that placement.
                          For me personally, I always put the point of the chevron at the "height" of my elbow bone. Not that "one" location is necessarily more historically correct than another height, (within historical extremes) it is just a look I like from among a number of "period correct options."
                          (I "like" the "lower" look myself.... but it can depend upon the proportions of one's arm bones and the "length" of the coat sleeves...) ;)

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Pards,

Thanks for the input,and ideas. I'm almost ashamed since I did look prior to posting at most of my civil war books and references looking at thier placement on period images of NCOs, but this was just something that came to my mind and caused me to wonder if it was by regulation or personal preferance .....Thanks to both of you for adding to this and sheading more light on the chevrons possible placement for me....

Y.O.S.

Jacob Thompson
                            Last edited by 17th Mo Inf; 03-10-2007, 09:33 PM. Reason: stupid missouri spelling
                            [SIZE=1][FONT=Book Antiqua]Jacob Thompson[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]
                            [B]Western Blues Mess[/B][/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]17th Missouri, Co. G.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]River Rats Mess[/B][/SIZE]

Comment

My rule of thumb is to hold my arm straight down at my side, bend the forearm forward 90 degrees (level with the ground) and measure two fingers' width up from the point of the elbow. The chevrons are lined up with the back seam of the sleeve.
                              [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                              [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Photos tell a lot. They, like knowledge, "are good".

(With a nod to the inscription at the bottom of the statue of Faber, at the college that bears his name.)

Comment

Working...
                                X