What color socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What color socks?

Entirely my pleasure, thank you for asking.

Sincerely,
    Karin Timour
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: KTimour@aol.com

Comment

Great read! I didn't thnk I'd be hooked on a thread about socks! Very well done.
      Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
      Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
      Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
      Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
      Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
      Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
      sigpic

Comment

Dear Mr. Gale:

Thank you for your kind words. If you'd like to read more about socks, I wrote an article entitled "Reenactor Sock Myths" which was printed in both The Camp Chase Gazette and The Citizens' Companion, late last summer. I think it was the July/August or the September/October issue. That article breaks out the eight most common things that reenactors incorrectly believe about socks of the 1860s. It also has big, clear pictures of the most common period heels and toes. Each picture is reproduced twice -- once with graphics superimposed on the photograph, so that a non-knitter can see the same "earmarks" I look for to identify which construction methods were used to make each. Next to it is the same picture without the graphics superimposed, so that you can look from one to the other and train your eye to recognize them in the future. Also included are short-row heels and toes (most common post-war heels and toes). Please also remember that the demand for socks is great. The time and cost to make the heels and toes by hand, and with a small enough yarn makes them prohibitively expensive for most buyers. It's better to have the entire regiment have socks than to have two guys with period correct ones and everybody else marching with without socks, just barefoot in their brogans.

If you're interested in learning more about Federal Issue socks (which were not socks, but half-hose and more properly referred to, as the quartermasters did "the Federal Issue stocking"), read the chapter I wrote for The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium, Second Edition, edited by John Tobey.

Thank you for following this thread, it's a thrill to share this research with people who care about "what really was."

Sincerely,
        Karin Timour
        Email: Ktimour@aol.com
        Last edited by KarinTimour; 04-15-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Karin ~ this was a very interesting read, thank you. I learned a great deal.
          I now know what colors I will be looking for in future when I comes time to
          resupply wool socks! (And, more importantly, why!)

PS - I always get praise for those shooting mits you made for me; they are
          still the best I have seen.
          Your most obedient servant and comrade,
          James C. Schumann
          Mess #3
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Dear James:

It was a pure pleasure to make them for you, I"m so glad that you're enjoying using them in the field!

I've also looked up the exact back issue of The Camp Chase Gazette that has the "Reenactor Sock Myths" article in it -- it's July/August 2011. Back issues are available by calling them: 800-624-0281. The price is $5.95 plus $2.00 shipping. They are there from 8-5 EST, M-F.

And for those of you who haven't yet had enough sock information, I also wrote an article about Civil War socks in a magazine about historic needlework. It's entitled "Patriotic Toil: Knitting Socks for Civil War Soldiers" and was printed in the March/April 2009 issue of Piecework magazine. The paper copies have already sold out, but you can order a digital back issue from them for $9.99. Their website is www.interweavestore.com. You want item number EP5051.

I have no financial interest in either magazine, nor do I get a fee for any back issues sold. I just like writing about Civil War socks and they gave me the opportunity.

Hope that's helpful,
            Karin Timour
            Email: Ktimour@aol.com
            Last edited by KarinTimour; 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X