Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shining the Springfield

All,

What would be the best thing to use (besides elbow grease!) to shine up the Springfield barrel, and make it shine like "The Boy's" did on campaign?? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
    7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
    wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Re: Shining the Springfield

I would use 000 steel wool and some light gun oil. It knocks off the rust and grime but leaves most of the patina on the barrel. It also does not hurt the markings. My Enfield has an almost gray patina on it now. So it has some resistance to rust.

Dan Stewart

Comment

I spent the better part of this morning shining my 1827 Millbury Conversion with the above prescribed method. Works like a charm. A brass brush helps things along. Makes an old gun look new(er). But still requires a bit of Elixir De'Elbow.
      Scott House

Comment

Dan, Scott,

Thank you for the input, i will put it to good use. I will also use alittle bit of the Elixir De 'Elbow....... LOL!!
        Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
        7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
        wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Comment

The manual mentions flour of emory. Flour of emory should be available in various grits from rock polishing supply, lens polishing supply or premixed with oil valvl lapping compound. Rotton stone is also mentioned for polishing brass and is available in consumer size containers from Woodcraft. I can't find a steel wool invention date but it appears to me to be later then 1865.

Here is some period quotes about emery cloth and crocus cloth copied from the WordWizard.com site.

<1858 “Navy Yard , Boston, June 16, 1858.— F. K. Sibley, Esq.—Dear Sir: Having given your EMERY CLOTH and CROCUS CLOTH a thorough trial, it gives use pleasure to inform you that I consider it the best article that I have seen.”—‘Scientific American’ New Series, Volume 1, Issue 4, 13 July, page 63>

<1861 “Fine flour of EMERY-CLOTH is the best article to clean the exterior of the barrel. / To clean the lock.Wipe every part with a moist rag, and then a dry one; if any part of the interior shows rust, put a drop of oil on the point or end of a piece of soft wood dipped in FLOUR OF EMERY; rub out the rust clean and wipe the surface dry; then rub every part with a slightly oiled rag. / To clean the mountings.—For the mountings, and all iron and steel parts, use fine FLOUR OF EMERY-CLOTH. For brass use rotten-stone moistened with vinegar, or water, and avoid oil or grease. Use a hard brush, or piece of soft pine, cedar, or CROCUS CLOTH.”—‘Rules for Dismounting the Rifle Musket, Model of 1855’ in ‘Military Dictionary’ by H. L. Scott, page 41>
          Mike Stein
          Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO...

Any of the Period possibiities are an excellent choice, ONCE the metal has been redone to emulate the polishing/burnishing methods used back then. By using worn oout green Scotch Brite pads, or 0000 or 000 steel wool, you can remove the high polish mirror finishes sometimes found on Italian reproductions put there by modern buffing wheels and buffing wheel grit compounds. I have seen some that look like chrome car bumpers (a reference yougner lads may not get.. ;) :) )

Once the steel has been repolished to a Civil War appearance, then one can use the Period polishing techniques.

And then, some lads like to add a more "field" or "campaign" element when troops did not always have access to emory powder, brick dust, etc., and resorted to a paste made of water and campfire ash.

And last but not least, there is enough "abrasive" quality to even a scrap of wool cloth, to do some mainternance repolishing.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I decided to see how the soldiers did it and a came up with a good possiblity . Soldiers will do anything to get the job done, and since their Officers loved shine as a way to gauge moral and unit readiness ( the shiner, the more ready is still used today, but like back then, they did the easiest and quickest way just to get it done).

I looked through the orginal manuals on mantaining the Springfield. The reference states NOT to bruishing (polish) the barrels and the ram rod as to weaken them and since I know that soldiers will do the opposite, if it work better . I used the shaft of the ram rod on the disassembled barrel. The results are amazing; I could see myself in the reflection as one reference suggested. I completed my entire metal work quickly that way and have used my weapon on several "battles''. The retouch up is easy and quick.

I would suggest you use a scrap piece of flat steel or your steel bayonet, so not the wear down the ram rod.

Bill Sanders
              Career Private

Remember the "Stono Scouts"
              William Sanders

Comment

Hallo!

Missed a key or two I think...

"Burnishing."

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Mike View Post
                  The manual mentions flour of emory. Flour of emory should be available in various grits from rock polishing supply, lens polishing supply or premixed with oil valvl lapping compound. Rotton stone is also mentioned for polishing brass and is available in consumer size containers from Woodcraft. I can't find a steel wool invention date but it appears to me to be later then 1865.

Here is some period quotes about emery cloth and crocus cloth copied from the WordWizard.com site.

<1858 “Navy Yard , Boston, June 16, 1858.— F. K. Sibley, Esq.—Dear Sir: Having given your EMERY CLOTH and CROCUS CLOTH a thorough trial, it gives use pleasure to inform you that I consider it the best article that I have seen.”—‘Scientific American’ New Series, Volume 1, Issue 4, 13 July, page 63>

<1861 “Fine flour of EMERY-CLOTH is the best article to clean the exterior of the barrel. / To clean the lock.Wipe every part with a moist rag, and then a dry one; if any part of the interior shows rust, put a drop of oil on the point or end of a piece of soft wood dipped in FLOUR OF EMERY; rub out the rust clean and wipe the surface dry; then rub every part with a slightly oiled rag. / To clean the mountings.—For the mountings, and all iron and steel parts, use fine FLOUR OF EMERY-CLOTH. For brass use rotten-stone moistened with vinegar, or water, and avoid oil or grease. Use a hard brush, or piece of soft pine, cedar, or CROCUS CLOTH.”—‘Rules for Dismounting the Rifle Musket, Model of 1855’ in ‘Military Dictionary’ by H. L. Scott, page 41>
                  I want to second this and add, from the same "Rules," this injunction: "In cleaning the arms, great care should be observed to preserve the qualities essential to service, rather than obtain a bright polish."

"Burnishing" was strongly discouraged, not only because of possible damage to the barrel but because it tended to "destroy the uniformity of the exterior finish of the barrel."
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                  X