which weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which weapon

I am looking to purchase a musket/ rifle. I portray 2nd or 8th Florida confederate Regt. or kentuckey Union. I have been unable to find any sources that state the exact type of weapon these regts. used and need help. If anyone knows it would be of great help. If not what would be better to get to support all impressions? Enfiled or Springfield? 1853 or 1861 pattern? Thanks.

Nate Collins
    Nathanial Collins
    1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment
    Blue Grass Mess

Re: which weapon

Nate,which KY Union unti do you portray?From what I have seen on the KY units,we see that a large number of them were armed with '53 Enfields.I would advise you to write to the KY State Archives,or the Kentucky Historical Society for help.There,they will have more of the records in greater detail.Hope this helps
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Cullen is right Nate, and it also depends on what period of the war you wish to concentrate on as well. In the first half you will find a good mix of smoothbores and Austrians, but by sometime in '63, you will see these being turned in for better arms, as the 17th did in Murfreesboro/fortress Rosecrans. Also, while I think it's awesome you ant to portray a Federal unit from Kentucky (I'm prejudiced!), for the most part you will be portraying all kinds of units at reenactments, LH programs for the NPS, etc. It's great to have an initial focus, but don't get too locked in, "Semper Gumby" is the key. ;)
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I was trying to cover all years if possible. I was not trying to get to specific but wanted to get close if possible. I was thinking of the 61 springfield just for the utilitarian of it for different units and years. Thanks.

Nate Collins
        Nathanial Collins
        1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment
        Blue Grass Mess

Comment

Nate,

A couple things as a guy that has put my share of time into the Florida reg'ts and a bit of advice from a guy who has been around the block.

1.) If you are on a budget (and 90% of us are) buy a blockade run Enfield. A ton of them came in (some into florida ports early in the war) and they saw use in every CS theatre. Everyone needs a "home" impression, I get it. But an Enfield was the most widely used CS arm. period.
          2.) There is an account I posted in one of the Richmond Rifle threads that indicate some of Lang's men at gettysburg were armed with Richmond rifles and Springfields. If you want to build your impression around the 8th Florida on july 2 1863 and that is the only impression you do, dan wambaugh has a fine richmond for sale on the BST forums. If you want to do other stuff, buy the Enfield.

I have included a link to the 1864 inspection reports of Finnegans/Perrys brigades. Both Enfields and Springfields were present.

Again, a captured '61 is an excellent choice for an ANV infantryman, but an Enfield gives you more flexibility which is the name of the game if you are doing this on the cheap.

http://blueandgraymarching.com/third...rigade-fl.html
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I would caution against a one weapon fits all approach, better to do the research first and then acquire the correct weapon for your primary impression. Realize that duel impressions may very well require diferent weapons just as they require different uniforms and gear. Saving up and getting the right gear slowly will put you further ahead in the long run.

And a slightly off topic side note, as regards the Enfield being universally acceptable in every Confederate Theater of operation, that doesn't hold water here in the far Southwest. Out here Enfields are more or less non-existent, with the bulk of arms being pre-war Federal (1855, 1842, 1841 , etc. or Civillian). An Enfield or 1861 in the hands of Confederates in the Southwest just doesn't fit. I realize that the Southwest is a backwater of the Civil War but the suggestions of Enfields and '61's as being best anywhere is one of the windmills that authentics out here are constantly tilting at.
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
              I would caution against a one weapon fits all approach, better to do the research first and then acquire the correct weapon for your primary impression. Realize that duel impressions may very well require diferent weapons just as they require different uniforms and gear. Saving up and getting the right gear slowly will put you further ahead in the long run.

And a slightly off topic side note, as regards the Enfield being universally acceptable in every Confederate Theater of operation, that doesn't hold water here in the far Southwest. Out here Enfields are more or less non-existent, with the bulk of arms being pre-war Federal (1855, 1842, 1841 , etc. or Civillian). An Enfield or 1861 in the hands of Confederates in the Southwest just doesn't fit. I realize that the Southwest is a backwater of the Civil War but the suggestions of Enfields and '61's as being best anywhere is one of the windmills that authentics out here are constantly tilting at.
              troy,

i stand corrected on far south west. I know a good bit of english stuff made it in through Texas and into Trans Miss...poor history on my part for lumping action west of the mississippi together.

That said, I still stand by my claim that an Enfield is your best 1st purchase for most (SW territory exlcuded) CS impressions.
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X