Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on the 72nd PA and 95th PA

Howdy Guys,

Does anybody know where I can get info or publications on the 72nd PA and/or 95th PA? I have the 2 books on the Philadelphia Brigade by Banes and Gottfried. I try to glean info out of publications on particular battles, but there's not that much specifically. I have the History of PA Volunteers on CD. I need help.

Thanks,

Larry Kitner
    72nd PA, Co. K

Re: Info on the 72nd PA and 95th PA

There hasn't been much written on the 72nd and 95th Pennsylvania. I suggest you start with the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (see below on the 72nd Pennsylvania) and then try some of the local County Historical Societies where the two Regiments came from.

Fiftieth anniversary of Baxter's Philadelphia fire zouaves 72nd regt. Penna. vols. August 10th 1861 to August 10, 1911.
    by Pennsylvania infantry. 72nd regiment. Published 1911
    Subjects: “...United States. Army. Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, 72nd (1861-1865)...”
    Call Number: UPA E 527.5 72nd.P46 1911
    Located: Pennsylvania Room (open stacks)
    Available
    Book

The seventy-second regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, at Bloody Angle, Gettysburg.
    by Pennsylvania infantry, 72d regt.,
    Subjects: “...United States. Army. Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, 72nd (1861-1865)...”
    Call Number: UPA/Pam E 527.5 72nd.R42
    Located: Closed Stacks (call slip needed)
    Available
    Book

An address delivered at Gettysburg, August 27, 1883 /
    by Webb, Alexander Stewart, 1835-1911. Published 1883
    Call Number: UPA/Pam E 527.5 72nd.W36 1883
    Available
    Book

The Historical Society of Pennsylvania collection of Civil War papers 1830-1923
    Subjects: “...United States Army Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, 72nd (1861-1865) NACO Authority File...”
    Call Number: 1546
    Finding aid online: http://www2.hsp.org/collections/manu...ilWar1546.html
    Manuscript

The Historical Society of Pennsylvania collection of Civil War papers, 1861-1902.
    Call Number: (PHi)1546
    Available
    Unknown
    Adam Dintenfass

Comment

This website contains the Muster Rolls of Pennsylvania Regiments:

Here are the books on the 72nd Pennsylvania which they reference:

Banes, Charles H. A History of the Philadelphia Brigade: 69th , 71st , 72nd , and the 106th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1876. Reprinted by Theme Prints, Ltd.

Beidelman, George Washington. (Catherine H. Vanderslice, Editor). The Civil War letters of George Washington Beidelman, 72d Regiment, New York: Vantage Press, 1978.

Donaldson, Francis A., Captain. Inside the Army of the Potomac: The Civil War Experience of Captain Francis Adams Donaldson.

Furness, William Henry. A Word of Consolation for the Kindred of Those Who have Fallen in Battle; Discourse Delivered September 28, 1862, (72d Regiment), Philadelphia: Crissy & Markley, Printers, 1862.

Lash, Gary G. Duty Well Done, The History of Edward Baker's California Regiment, Baltimore, MD 21234: Butternut and Blue, 2001.

Pennsylvania Infantry, 72d Regiment, Seventy-second Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at Bloody Angle, Gettysburg, 1889.
      Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Here's the link for the 95th Pennsylvania Muster Rolls:

This is the only reference they list for the 95th PA:

Galloway, George Norton. Ninety-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers (Gosline's Pennsylvania Zouaves) in the Sixth Corps. An historical paper by G. Norton Galloway ... read at a reunion of the surviving members of the 95th Pennsylvania Volunteers, held at Germantown, Pa., 1884.
        Adam Dintenfass

Comment

The 95th PA has a descendent's association at www.petersburgbreakthrough.org/95thPA.htm that has some good leads on detailed research. Looks like a good place to start.

The 72nd is pretty well covered by the above responses, I'd say.

R
          Rich Libicer
          Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
          4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
          6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
          4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
          21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
          5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
          Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Ronn Palm has been a Civil War collector and researcher for decades. Ronn has a special interest in Pennsylvania units and might know of some interesting unpublished reference material. Contact him at the Ronn Palm's Museum of Civil War Images:

You might find his online Civil War photograph catalogue of interest.
            Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Hi fellas,

Thanks for ALL your help. I'm getting Beidelman's book from Amazon and some of these times I want to go down to Gettysburg and check out Ronn Palm's Museum. I called him yesterday and he says that he has quite a number of photos of the 72nd and 95th PA's. I didn't know it but I have Donaldson's book. He doesn't have much on the 72nd PA specifically, but I want to sit down and glean some of the basic stuff.

Thanks a million for all your help,

Larry Kitner, Pres.
              72nd PA, Co. K

Comment

Just to clarify...Beidelman's book says that G. W. Beidelman was actually in the 71st PA, not the 72nd PA. The book will still be interesting though.

Larry Kitner
                72nd PA, Co. K

Comment

Working...
                X