CS Artillerists: Brogans Or Boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Artillerists: Brogans Or Boots?

After some research I'm still confused. What would be more likely to be the case. Would the majority of CS artillerists have worn boots or brogans?

Re: CS Artillerists: Brogans Or Boots?

It comes down to a question of when and where. The early war (pre-Shiloh) photos of the Washington Artillery show a slight majority wearing boots. However, I'm not sure once guys started getting on the depot supply system that boots were a very common issue item. The best advice would be to try to find some Quartermaster Returns or Requisitions from your unit and then base an impression off of that. Until you have more info as to what unit(s) and time frame(s) you are portraying, it is problematic to try to come up with an exact answer.

Regards,
    Garrett Glover
    Garrett Glover

Comment

Re: CS Artillerists: Brogans Or Boots?

I recall reading in John Worsham's War memoirs "One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry" that many cavalrymen and artillerymen dispersed with boots in favor of brogans due to their being easier to get on and off, much cooler and comfortable in the heat and humidity, easier to walk in and easier to obtain...
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
      X