Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring an old repro Knapsack & Gum Blanket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring an old repro Knapsack & Gum Blanket...

After being away from the hobby for about 10+ years (college/navy), I am finally getting back into it. I kept some of my old gear over the years knowing certain items were going to be hard to come by, but time wasn't so kind to them. I currently have a reproduction double bag knapsack and a good repro gum blanket that has been sitting in storage for some time. Both are in relatively good condition, but one can tell they both are in need of some love.

1) Are there any tips or tricks to making the painted fabric on the knapsack clean and somewhat more flexible? The fabric isn't bad, just faded in some spots and stiff from not being used. I would like to try to make it look newer for Shiloh if possible.

2) The gum blanket is in general good condition, but it is definitely stiff and cracking a little where it has been folded and on the ends. Is there any way to recondition it to make it more flexible and prevent further cracking? I know its not like leather and this one maybe a lost cause unfortunately, but I figured I would ask just in case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching the forums for other threads covering this topic but didn't come across any so I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere.

V/r
    Jon Bocek

The Dandy Man Mess
    Respectfully,
    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Re: Restoring an old repro Knapsack & Gum Blanket...

1. Best and easiest way to make your knapsack look newer and a little more soft is a coat of boiled linseed oil. Try not to get it on the leather...but it will usually soften things up a little, and give it a little more shine.

2. As to the gum blanket - there is absolutely nothing that will restore rubber, once brittle and cracking. However, Armor-all will help some and may help slow its deterioration. And a friend of mine once used linseed oil on a cracking gum blanket...it seemed to soften it and - once dried - it did a great job at preventing leaking thru the cracks. However, I don't know what the long term effect was. I suspect the driers in boiled linseed oil might not be good for rubber in the long run.
    David Stone

Comment

Re: Restoring an old repro Knapsack & Gum Blanket...

my grandfather used to rub talcum powder into rubber he said it helped soften it, i don,t know if this was true but it might work?
      Martyn Goddard
      American Eagle Society
      Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

Working...
      X