Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Powder Tester - ever heard of one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Powder Tester - ever heard of one?

I have to say I had not until I saw this on an auction website: http://www.antiqueguns.com/auction/i...s/robles-43096

According to the description they were quite common and probably most men in the army would have known something about these. I do not quite know how they were actually used to test powder and the description doesn't really address it. Anyone know?
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Black Powder Tester - ever heard of one?

The black powder testers of the era were called "eprouvettes." Then, as now, the strength of individual lots of powder varied. When making up lots of ammunition, a competent ordnance officer would test a new lot of powder to determine if it was stronger or weaker than his "standard" lot of powder, and adjust his loadings up or down accordingly. The sights on military weapons are regulated for a standard projectile propelled at a standard velocity. If the velocity is changed by a stronger or weaker lot of powder, the point of impact of the projectile changes. The piece at auction a a crude version of the concept, and the sales description is flawed, but you get the idea.

Regards,
    Don Dixon

Comment

'morning,

Dixie Gun Works sells a repro. I remember theirs being a flint lock, however, the one currently shown is a cap lock.

Their description (which includes how it measures powder strength) is: "An unusual conversation piece made just as good or better than the originals of the 1830 and 1850. It tests the strength of various granulations and different production runs of black powder to learn which is the best and which is the weakest. To operate, the short barrel is loaded to the muzzle with black powder; the tester is fired after the indexing lever is turned over the muzzle. Upon firing, the indexing lever turns the little spring loaded wheel which indicates the relative strength of the powder. High quality and nicely engraved. Wood grips and, of course, it is a boxlock style frame."

Calum
      Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
      www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
      http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

A pre-measured amount of powder was placed in the chamber, which was then closed. On the type shown at auction a fuse was inserted in the touch hole and lit. When the charge ignited the "lid" of the chamber opened. The strength of the sample was indicated by the graduated figures stamped on the side of the wheel.
        [B]Jim Ball[/B]
        Chesapeake Rifles

Comment

Good information. Thanks
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

The Frazier History Museum here in Louisville has an original amongst their unbelievable collection (http://www.fraziermuseum.org/).

Before seeing it, I was also unaware that they existed. The one in their collection on display was similar to the reproduction that Calum linked above. It was produced to look like a small, Derringer style, pistol with a pan for the powder. As already described above, once the powder was ignited, the explosion would engage the numerically marked lever system, which would estimate the strength of that batch of powder.

Found this example archived on some forums somewhere in cyberspace after a google search:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	powdertester.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	222567
            Last edited by JimConley; 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM.
            Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

This concept was also applied to Artillery. Spencer C. Tucker in 'Arming The Fleet' on page 23 mentions the navy eprouvette was a short mortar. The test charge was 1 oz. powder and how far it could lob a 24# ball. Powder unable to lob the ball a minimum distance was rejected. Powder was designated by yardage and good powder ranged from 280 to 300 yards.
              Mike Stein
              Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Working...
              X