Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Style Precussion Cap

Hallo!

Just a Quick Aside for the lads who do not know...

Not all percussion caps are intended for the reenacting community. Some of these variants we are talking about are for the modern "in line" ignition systems on modern design muzzleloading "hunting rifles" and not a percussion musket.

And an obvious one, caps without wings are used on percussion aka cap-and-ball revolvers (NUG sizes 10 or 11). ;) :)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt is of course, very correct in this regard. But it is a disappointment that these are being offered on sutler row as the OP noted. I guess I should't be so surprised at what can be found there.

Paul McKee
      Paul McKee

Comment

I have been using the CCI caps for about a year now, with no problems. They are, as mentioned above, not as hot as the German caps. While at the Kennesaw Mountain living history, I ran into a guy that had problems with the caps splintering when fired. He gave me a small handful and said he wouldn't use them again. Anyone else having a problem? Because I haven't seen it, personally.

Craig Wolfe

Comment

I have just started using the new cci caps this year and performed very well for me. Mr. Mckee, I noticed you live in Wisconsin and if you are not too far from Prarie Du Chein; Cabelas has them in store. Thats where I get most of mine from.
          William D. O'Malley IV

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Bill View Post
            I have just started using the new cci caps this year and performed very well for me. Mr. Mckee, I noticed you live in Wisconsin and if you are not too far from Prarie Du Chein; Cabelas has them in store. Thats where I get most of mine from.
            Thanks Bill, I may head over there. A four hour round trip just to buy caps may be a bit obsessive, but it makes for a nice scenic afternoon by motorcycle along the Wisconsin River!

Paul McKee
            Paul McKee

Comment

Several years back we moved and in the process I discovered several tins of ALCAN caps hidden in my basement. Four wing copper caps. May haps I should sell them on this forum, one at a time. (humor).
              Steve Sullivan

Comment

There was a discussion on the N-SSA board a while back that the "reenactor" caps were too weak for live fire.

IIRC, at least one poster stated that wingless caps were used during the Waah. I don't know, one way or the other.
                Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

When Dixie Gun Works first brought out their model 1861 by Miroku it was noticed they did well in live fire with the ALCAN or Navy Arms caps (about all that was then available) but when this same set-up was used in reenactment blank firing the cone/nipple would get plugged up after a few rounds. Eventually most of us ran a small drill down the Dixie supplied cone, and still a tad later Ol' Turner supplied cones with bigger interior holes and the problem went away. Point being...the market generally tends to correct problems seen in early production. If the word gets out that copper four winged caps are desired...
                  Steve Sullivan

Comment

Working...
                  X