Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Woodworking Book

CIVIL WAR WOODWORKING - A. J. HAMLER

Does anyone have/know if this book is good or not? How accurate are the projects? Thanks!

- Austin Bajak
    Austin Bajak

Re: Civil War Woodworking Book

Austin, I've got this book, and for me it is interesting. The discription on the back cover reads, "Civil War Woodworking is the perfect sourcebook to create a host of accurate reproductions of Civil War-era objects. All 17 projects--whic range from fairly easy to moderately difficult--include fully illustrated step-bt-step instructions with an emphasis on authenticity. Each project chapter provides Civil War history about the item, as well as all the key information you will need to duplicate period workmanship. materials and finishes in the modern shop." All of that means there is some degree of woodworking skills and equipment needed. You don't need to be an expert or have a million years of experience. For the simple reenactor theses projects should be fine.

There are original photos or examples provided. Here is a listing of the projects. " Board Bench; Hardtack Crate; Ammunition Box; Folding Camp Table;Bucksaw; Folding Camp Stool ;Lt. Kelly's Camp Chair; Officers Field Desk; Folding Mirror; Tent Pegs; Games; and Candle Latern" There is also a Resources Listing. A. J. Hamler is woodworker, woodworking author, and reenactor. This book is published by Linden Publishing, ISBN 978-1-933502-28-1, with a price of $24.95. To me this book is interesting and usefull. It was given as a gift which I don't regret. For odds and ends items it is a fine source. The instructions are easy to follow the color photos are great. So if you want something simple or just dabble in woodworking this is the book.

Hope this helps. Anything more involved send me a PM.
    Dennis W. Duerbeck
    Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

I have this book and I think it is well worth adding to your library. Great photos and complete instructions thuo they use modern tools, but so what. As for authentisity, I think it is very good, In the hard tack crate section, it talks about wood thickness ect. and lets face it... there will always be some one who will find fault with anything and every thing, so yes get the book. plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I'm on my way to order it ...

- Austin Bajak
        Austin Bajak

Comment

Great book to own! Bought it when it first came out. Hoping to make 1 of each project in the near future. If nothing else just to sit around my workshop for conversation.
          Andre Wagner
          Surgeon
          147th Reg't PA Vol.

Comment

Working...
          X