"U" on Barrel Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "U" on Barrel Bands

Can anyone provide information regarding the meaning, background, purpose, etc. the "U" on the right side of barrel bands?

Of course, I've seen them on CW period rifles, but I have also seen them on post-CW rifles and carbines (including a Whitney-Kennedy 44-40 in my collection). This got me wondering . . .

Many thanks in advance . . .
    Ken Aldous
    Co. D, 5th NY Inf. (2d Regt. USV)
    Co. E, 123rd NYSV (2d Regt. USV)
    GGG nephew of Julius H. Higley, Co. E, 123rd NYSV & Co. A, 109th USCT
    GGG nephew of Albert E. Higley, Co. H, 22nd NYSV & Co. G, 16th NYHA
    GGG nephew of L.S. Herbert Higley, Co. G, 16th NYHA

Re: "U" on Barrel Bands

It means "up" and always appears on the right/face side of the weapon.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Ken:

Think of it this way: during a time when sergeants sometimes had to use "hayfoot" and "strawfoot" when teaching proper marching because some recruits didn't know left from right, this was considered a simple and effective way to ensure the proper reassembly of a musket. Kind of like a Civil War version of "This Side Towards Enemy". As Mr. Cross said, the "U" was always on the right side of the weapon, and it ensured that the recruits or anyone reassembling the weapon would put the barrel bands in the correct place.

Cheers.
      R
      Rich Libicer
      Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
      6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
      21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
      5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
      Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Very interesting. I've been wondering about the U for a while now. Thank you for the question and answers.
        Andy Mouradian
        JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Ken,

One last little tidbit: Remember that until the Model 1855 Springfield came into use only one of the barrel bands on muskets could possibly be reversed: the middle band with the swivel. The lower band was large and had a protrusion that extended an inch or so over the ramrod channel, and the upper band was a large double band which included the front sight. It was only with the model 1855 and subsequent designs that the direction of all three bands could be confused, hence a simple method was required for ensuring a proper placement. Hopefully that sheds a bit more light on things.
          Dan Wambaugh
          Wambaugh, White, & Company
          www.wwandcompany.com
          517-303-3609
          Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Hallo!

Just a quick extra...

The forestock on a RM or R was tapered down toward the front. The bands (on originals) are tapered as well to match the forestock. The "u" for up aligns the taper of the band so as not to scrape the more narrower end and damage the wood.

The bands on repro's are NUG straight, with the widest being the widest of the taper on the forestock. The Italians 'hope" that the band springs will keep the band "snug." This occassionalyl works, but at times the Springfield type solid barrel bands on reproductions rattle loosely (due to their being straight sided on a tapered forestock).
            (Or sometimes, they are so snug one needs a mallet or hamemr and wood block to move them.)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X