Union Sack Coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Sack Coats

I am trying to find some information on the difference between sack coats issued through the Schuylkill and Cincinnati Depots. Looking at the images in "Echoes of Glory", it is hard to discern the differences. I would appreciate it if I could be directed to a source of information about this topic. I understand there is a book in print about Union sack coats, but I do not have it yet. Thanks for any help in advance.

TJ Markert

Re: Union Sack Coats

Comrade,

I would strongly encourage you to go to www.skilletlicker.com and throw down a couple bones on a copy of For Fatigue Purposes...The Army Sack Coat of 1857-1872 , by Patrick Brown. This should help you out in your quest. Regards, etc., etc.

Bully,

Comment

TJ,

You should also check out the Lazy Jack Mess website. They have written many great articles, including one on sack coats.

Hope this helps.
      Bill Backus

Comment

citizen
        please try the cj daley web site and look for the
        synopsis of sack coat contracts,
        1861-1865
        also see if you can find a old post by Aaron Young titled the fatigue blouse.
        I was in the same boat not that long ago good luck :)
        martyn goddard
        Martyn Goddard
        American Eagle Society
        Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

I have a question about federal sack coats "though not the same as the first" , but I wanted to know if all federal sack coats had easily visible weave on them after a few weeks? I have seen photos of originals and the photos of soldiers, but they don't seem to show a visible weave on there coats, so I wanted to know if after some wear the visible weave went away and/or was it just was never visible?

Comment

The three I have seen and examined closely, all showed the visible weave (assuming you are refering to the diagonal weave of the fabric, and you take into consideration 140 years of existence)

The two on Display at the Gettysburg Visitor Center, and one of the jackets featured in Echoes of Glory,(Page 107, Sgt. Franklin Smith, 4th Mass. Cav. Sack Coat Image) all show the diagonal weave of the flannel.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about period photo quality may explain why the weave is not readily visible.
            Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
            Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
            Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I think the reason you don't see the weave in period photos is simply because of the fact that the pictures are not taken that close, I mean the only photo where I ever saw weave on a sack coat is the one photo of the guy wearing a sack coat made out of cordaroy (sp?) I don't even remember were I saw it at but it is pretty cool.

Ryan Meyer
              Skulkers Mess

Originally posted by Canton Zouave
              The three I have seen and examined closely, all showed the visible weave (assuming you are refering to the diagonal weave of the fabric, and you take into consideration 140 years of existence)

The two on Display at the Gettysburg Visitor Center, and one of the jackets featured in Echoes of Glory,(Page 107, Sgt. Franklin Smith, 4th Mass. Cav. Sack Coat Image) all show the diagonal weave of the flannel.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about period photo quality may explain why the weave is not readily visible.
              Ryan Meyer
              Skulker's Mess (Germany)
              Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Anything you could want to know about sack coats; that is, anything you could want to know and get from the internet.
                Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Markert
                  I am trying to find some information on the difference between sack coats issued through the Schuylkill and Cincinnati Depots. Looking at the images in "Echoes of Glory", it is hard to discern the differences. I would appreciate it if I could be directed to a source of information about this topic. I understand there is a book in print about Union sack coats, but I do not have it yet. Thanks for any help in advance.

TJ Markert
                  I'm afraid that's a question that would require more bandwidth than Paul would let me have here. In short though, the classification "Schyulkill Arsenal" and "Cincinnati Arsenal" really aren't accurate designations for a classification of fatigue blouses. Under the aegis of those arsenals you had many different foremen tailors, makers, contractors, inspectors and yes, patterns being used. In more than one case different patterns were being used at the same arsenal for the same garment. So, you'd be better off looking at either characteristics of surviving sack coats in general or, if you want to get detailed, those of a specific maker that has been identified. Don't be too dogmatic about it. There is still a lot we don't know.

While we're on the subject of arsenal characteristics, I will say this too, all the clothing coming out of Philly wasn't necessarily 100% hand sewn and all clothing coming out of Cinci wasn't necessarily 100% machine sewn. That's a modern myth.

Beyond that, I'll have to refer you to my book for a really detailed answer. I think it's pretty much sold out now but you might find a copy or two at a vendor. I think the Gettysburg NMP Visitor Center Bookstore still might still have it in stock too.

And finally, a word about EoG as a research tool... The series is really nice and it raised the bar for picture books back in the 80's. However, it as a serious study of artifacts it falls short. Use it as a starting point if anything. It does give a nice overview of several broad categories of surviving militaria. Plus, although it's now dated and many of the artifacts have changed hands, the photo credits in the back can serve as a nice catalog of where the artifacts reside. This can be used to contact the owners and arrange to go examine originals.

I hope this gives you some of the information you need and points you in the right direction.

Best,

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack1864
                    I have a question about federal sack coats "though not the same as the first" , but I wanted to know if all federal sack coats had easily visible weave on them after a few weeks? I have seen photos of originals and the photos of soldiers, but they don't seem to show a visible weave on there coats, so I wanted to know if after some wear the visible weave went away and/or was it just was never visible?
                    Sean,
                    There are a lot of images that are focused closely enough to pick out the weave of the flannel. True, many images don't have the resolution but plenty do. Some are published in my book, others can be found on the LOC website, others are published in Paul Smith's article in MC&H, just to name a few.

Remember too, the flannel used on sack coats differs from surviving original to surviving original. There are variations in the weight, color, and some have a much more pronounced twill than others.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Comment

Working...
                    X