construction help on a Day Poncho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• construction help on a Day Poncho

I current looking to tackle a project this winter for my own personal pleasure for a lack of a better word, I'm looking to construct a Federal Day Poncho (based on the one listed in the Shelter Half book). I have notes and such that I'm going to construct mine, size, material, spacing, I just need guidance on the material around the neck opening, size and construction on how it’s put together? Or do I just assume it like a typical poncho opening. If anyone has close up photos of the neck opening construction I would greatly appreciate it.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Re: construction help on a Day Poncho

Huck,

You can call me at 615-594-0564 some evening and I'll get mine out to answer your questions, or you can buy mine for $50 and find another way cooler project that will bring you more satisfaction and joy.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Re: construction help on a Day Poncho

The Federal Shelter Half book has some good details. Seems like the opening flap was made of wool. The Day's Poncho Tent will be out of place at most events. It would have been more common to see two painted oil blankets joined together to make a shelter than to see a Day's tent. Accounts of Sherman's troops coming through SC states seeing painted oil blankets or ponchos being joined to make a shelter tent.
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Working...
      X