• Show
Clear All

• Federal Uniform Sub-contractors

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anna Cohn.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	229925
    This is Anna Cohn (1853-1955) pronounced "con"- as she would say, "you don't pronounce 'John' as 'Joan', do you?"
    She was born in Germany and immigrated to NYC with her family at the age of 4 or 5. She was my step-mother's grandmother. My step-mother, who is living here in FL, knew her well and attended her 100th birthday party in 1955. (Only one degree of separation from the War!)
    Anna claimed that she sewed buttons on Union uniforms at home with her family when she was a child during the Civil War.
    Is it probable that an immigrant family would have sub-contracted piece work from a government contractor in NYC? Would the contractor likely have been JT Martin? Are there any records to document Anna's claim?
    [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
    SUVCW, SVR,
    Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
    Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Re: Federal Uniform Sub-contractors

Verry interesting Bill. I am pretty sure that contractors
    subcontracted to individiuals or small firms. In German this is called "Verlagssystem" and it was very popular in the 19th century in Europe. Actually it is pretty much the same system Schuylkill Arsenal used.
    Unfortunately I have no documentation to proof it.
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
    X