I see the light....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see the light....

Hello...My name is Jason...and I am a Farb (Hangs head)

But I don't want to be. I am slowly trying to improve my kit (research takes time). This forum has helped me a great deal and continues to do so. But I need to ask a few questions to further my authenticity. I had rather ask before doing so I can get it right once and for all.

I portray a Western Confederate. My company entered the war in May of '62 and attached to the Dep of East Tenn.

Back when I had my Columbus Depot Jacket made I took off the regular I buttons and added Pewter CSA ones. Can anyone tell me when these came out and/or what I should switch my buttons to. I don't particularly like the brass I buttons but I will use them for authenticity if need be. Also what about wood?

The trousers I wear are Mule Ear. Ok or no? I can't find any records stating what was issued to the men of the 52nd.

My goal is not to start any kind of flame wars or finger poking sessions, I am merely trying to learn and better my impression. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Do keep in mind when I first started buying my uniform, I had no idea one could go to this depth of authenticiy in the "Hobby". I really hate calling it a "hobby". For those of us that truly get it...it is more a way of life. But that is a different topic all together.
    [B]Yours in the Cause,
    Jason R. Fowler
    Blue Ridge Mess
    Armory Guards[/b]

Re: I see the light....

Jason,

Take a good look at the information on this link.

It provides a detailed study which includes the existing evidence on what types of buttons are on surviving Columbus Depot Jackets:

The below provided link is to the full study on the Columbus Depot Jacket:

I'm sure you'll find the information contained in the links very usefl.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Testify Brother!

The links that Brian posted are an excellent start. As you will see, all the surviving "Columbus" depot jackets have different buttons on them. And some off those have been replaced after the conflict. IMO two really safe choices for buttons (depending on the period) would be Fed eagles, or block Is. The "red I" buttons, to my knowledge, were very common during the Atlanta campaign.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Jason, I know what it's like to be a farb. I used to walk in to events thinking I
        was so authentic- only to discover that my coat ,my socks, my shirt ,my hat,
        my suspenders- everything on me was farby. The thing that I discovered though was that research was not as hard as it sounded- looking at pictures
        was enough to get a basic idea. [although reading letters and accounts gives you even more details]. If you have pictures of Civil War soldiers, then study them religiously. About the buttons:First of all, the CSA buttons are not very authentic. The only place I have seen them is in Echoes of Glory page105, and they were used on officer uniforms. The block I's are great for a generic impression, and wood,bone ,and federal buttons are good for late war.

Ian Broadhead
        5th Texas co. a
        Medich Battalion
        Ian Broadhead
        Liberty Rifles
        " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

Originally posted by texandrummer61
          Jason, I know what it's like to be a farb. I used to walk in to events thinking I
          was so authentic- only to discover that my coat ,my socks, my shirt ,my hat,
          my suspenders- everything on me was farby. The thing that I discovered though was that research was not as hard as it sounded- looking at pictures
          was enough to get a basic idea. [although reading letters and accounts gives you even more details]. If you have pictures of Civil War soldiers, then study them religiously. About the buttons:First of all, the CSA buttons are not very authentic. The only place I have seen them is in Echoes of Glory page105, and they were used on officer uniforms. The block I's are great for a generic impression, and wood,bone ,and federal buttons are good for late war.

Ian Broadhead
          5th Texas co. a
          Medich Battalion
          Ian

How do you figure Fed eagles are "late war"? Also how are you (achealogical/photo/written/surviving uniform pieces) basing the rarity of CSA buttons?
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Jason, Chin up! :D (We all had to start somewhere!)

Look at the "Jenkins" Jacket on Geoff's CD website, (whats left of it) I know it has the large size Federal Eagle Buttons on it. I got to look at that particular Jacket in a private collection, and those buttons are original. I could see that they were sewed on before the facings were put in, the thread does not go all the way into the inside. The material weave even looks closer to Cassimere than Jean.

Take a look at Relic websites, like the two I have noted:

You will find that they will list buttons where they were dug, or located, almost as good as a Relic or Button Book, with color pictures to boot.
            I looked at the Relicman website, and you will find that solid cast block I's are commonly dug in the Atlanta Campaign. You also look at the Relicman's Beltplate section, and that can also give you an idea of what is found, and where.

Kevin Dally
            Kevin Dally

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
              Ian

How do you figure Fed eagles are "late war"? Also how are you (achealogical/photo/written/surviving uniform pieces) basing the rarity of CSA buttons?
              Roger that...Couldn't it be assumed that a lot of fed stuff, including buttons were captured before the fighting started?

Comment

I would remove the pewter CSA buttons. I have never seen or heard of a pewter CSA and Tices button book doesn't list them.

I would put the block I buttons back on and if possible obtain solid cast I buttons. From conversations with relic hunters in the GA area, the solid cast I is as common as the struck brass/tin back block I is in the ANV theater of operations.

If you don't like the brass I buttons, how about GA buttons. These are found in all "time zones" of the war but mostly in early to mid war sites. I have found two in Petersburg so they were still around late although IMO in very limited quantities. It may be different in Tenn. but getting a uniform issue in May of 62 they may have still been using them. Do you know where your company got it's original issue?

Also, one of the National Archives photos shows what I believe are dead Ga. troops (from a previous thread) at GB. Two of the unforms have wooden buttons.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks for all the information and links. It has been a great help.
                  Jimmayo- I don't know where they got their initial issue. I wish I could find that info. I have looked and looked for it.

I will take the CSA buttons off and think I will either go with Wooden or the Georgia ones. Could I use the pewter Ga buttons or go with the brass ones?

Doesn anyone have info on the mule ear trousers?

Thanks again everyone!
                  [B]Yours in the Cause,
                  Jason R. Fowler
                  Blue Ridge Mess
                  Armory Guards[/b]

Comment

Just by posting a question on this forum shows that you want to improve your impression & you are on the right track. Try visiting museums to check out original items & uniforms. A great place to start is the Atlanta History Center in Atlanta. They have loads of original equipment,uniforms & personal items of soldiers. Research & more research, thats what you got to do. Keep checking into these forums on a regular basis too. Good luck.

George W. Eason/1st Georgia State Line "Joe Browns Defenders"

Comment

Originally posted by GaReb52nd
                      I will take the CSA buttons off and think I will either go with Wooden or the Georgia ones. Could I use the pewter Ga buttons or go with the brass ones?

Brass state seals.

C&D Jarnagin and The Military Warehouse carries them. The Military Warehouse is wholesale but he can tell you who to go to.

Last edited by Jimmayo; 03-07-2004, 09:57 PM.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo Herr Jason!

Welcome to the AC Forum!

"Hello...My name is Jason...and I am a Farb (Hangs head)"

I might would rather doubt that...

A so-called "farb" can be someone who does not know, and does not care that they do not know, as it is reflected in their knowledge, clothing, gear, and activities.
                        Anyone striving to improve their knowledge, kit, and historical-based activities is "progressing."
                        We are all somewhere on the Path, and for some- everything is part of a Journey...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by GaReb52nd
                          Thanks for all the information and links. It has been a great help.
                          Jimmayo- I don't know where they got their initial issue. I wish I could find that info. I have looked and looked for it.

Doesn anyone have info on the mule ear trousers?

Thanks again everyone!
                          For what it is worth I would go with Fed Eagles, or Block Is rather than Georgia State Seals. The only reason that I say this is that it is better to make your impression as generic as posible rather than pigeonhole yourself into doing only one state or time period.
                          Robert Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
                            Ian

Sorry about the Fed buttons comment. I've seen them on early war jackets too, but what I meant to say was that issue buttons would have been more
                            common on early and mid war coats than the federal ones. Also about the
                            csa buttons, I have only ever seen them on officer's uniforms, never on enlisted. I just thought I was giving opinions on enlisted uniforms. If you have any pictures of csa buttons on enlisted uniforms, I would be very interested
                            in seeing them.

Ian Broadhead
                            Ian Broadhead
                            Liberty Rifles
                            " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

For what it is worth, I held a conversation with a fairly avid button collector/relic hunter and he was lucky enough to stumble across a CSA button. He described the CSA button as being solid cast brass and that is the only CSA button he has found in a number of years of hunting. This caught my interest because I have never seen a cast brass CSA button. Does anyone know where if any reproduction solid cast brass CSA buttons might be found?

thank you,
                              Philip Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X