Snider-Enfield Bayonett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snider-Enfield Bayonett

Does anyone know if a Snider-Enfield Bayonet will fit an Armi-Sport Enfield? From the photos I've seen and that the caliber of the Snider-Enfield being .577 it looks like it should. I'm looking for an original bayonet.

Thanks,
    Jim Busby
    Walton Guards
    Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
    Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
    Co C 3rd US Inf
    www.waltonguards.org

Re: Snider-Enfield Bayonett

Hey Jim. Others with more knowledge than me will chime in I'm sure, but as far as I know the "Snider" was just a converted Pattern 1853 modified to breech loading with no modifications to caliber (.577) or barrel/sight configuration. Even the later "newly" manufactured Sniders that were not conversions followed the same pattern. They even maintained the "cleaning rod" in the ramrod channel.

So I don't see why it wouldn't be the same basic fit.

The only caveat would be that you're putting an original artifact on an Italian reproduction gun based on the Type IV P53. So it may take a little work to get it perfect.....

Keep your powder dry.
    R
    Rich Libicer
    Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
    4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
    6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
    4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
    21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
    5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
    Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Hallo!

Correct.

The Mark I and Mark II "Sniders" were modfied P1853 4th models. Starting with the Mark III's they were new built.
      4th Models being "interchangeable parts," their bayonets are NUG the same, unlike the hand-made and varied 3rd Models.

The larger (no pun intended) issue is the Italian barrels on the repro which are oversized.
      Plus, the bayoents can be tricky as the Dutch and Nepalese copied the design. Plus British gun makers also sold private purchase "trade pattern" clones.
      So one, may not always have a British government bayonet.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
        Jim Busby
        Walton Guards
        Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
        Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
        Co C 3rd US Inf
        www.waltonguards.org

Comment

I owned a socket bayonet with a clear progeny to the early issue 1856 pattern purchases for the Canadian Militia. This fit easily on the two Sniders that I owned. One was a conversion the other a Snider Mk III.
          When I purchased a Parker Hale 1853, it would not fit. A little emery cloth on the socket smoothed the way. Of 32 Parker Hales 1853s and 32 original Bayonets purchased, few needed any treatment.
          I cannot speak for a Euroarms but, you might invest in a good rat tail file.

Erik Simundson
          Erik Simundson

Comment

Working...
          X