Commutation Jacket Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commutation Jacket Buttons

I've been trying to find out the proper buttons for a commutation jacket. So far, all I've been able to find says that the jackets would have Federal Eagle Buttons or Block I Buttons. It seems to me, though, that those buttons would only be available near where the fighting was, and therefore would have been replacement buttons for a jacket's original ones. So my question is, what would the original buttons for commutation jackets have been before the soldier had a chance to replace them with federal eagle or block I buttons? Thanks,

Noah Smith

Re: Commutation Jacket Buttons

Noah,

Where do you think those block I buttons came from?
    Jim Kindred

Comment

You have to realize that most commutation jackets were made by local clothing manufactures usually during the first year of the war. Eagle buttons had been around for a while by April of 61. They were used for militia and were being bought from the North as the South geared up for conflict. There were also many state buttons in stock since the militias had become popular after Nat Turner and many of those units were using state buttons. Some Richmond clothing manufactures had state buttons made with their company name on the back mark. I would like to know where the reference to Block I buttons for common use on commutation jackets came from. I have never seen any documentation as to when the CS government contracted for block letter buttons but from my experience they are hardly ever found in very early war sites. They start showing up in mid to late 62 sites. The commutation system was on the way out by late 62. FYI In one early camp of the 57th VA the buttons found were several Eagle V cuffs, One solid cast Va, several two piece Va. both coat and cuff size, a CS over A, and numerous flat or coin buttons. There is no way of telling how many of these guys had complete uniforms and some of those buttons probably came off of civilian garmets.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Noah, Jim M gave some sound advice. I'd like to add that a quick look through reference books such as "Echoes of Glory" (CS volume), and "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown" will net some great visuals for your question. Take a look in a book..... :)
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Personally, I have some period Goodyear hard rubber civilian buttons on mine...a nice homemade touch.
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
          X