3 rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment Questions

I was trying to inquire if anyone would have an idea what type of uniforms this regiment would have worn in the early, middle , and late war? For example, their coats were they brown jean cloth, with blue trim , black etc.
    Just trying to get as authentic as one can. I am open to all suggestions or any information that y'all might have on this regiment.
    Thank You,
    Mark Pike

Re: 3 rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment Questions

The 3rd spent a lot of time on the Gulf Coast, then bounced around Mississippi before joining the AOT in 1863. Once the regiment joined the Army Of Tennessee, it's my understanding that they would have been drawing clothing from the same depots as the rest of army. Before then is a crap-shoot. There were state regulations for Mississippi early in the war, how close were they followed is anyone's guess. They probably received items via the commutation system, or from home, etc. I know that gray cloth was hard to come by in Mississippi even early in the war, so sure you would have seen various shades of gray-brown at any given time.

Hope this helps,

Anyone with info on the 3rd Mississippi's uniforms please chime in, I'd like to know more also.
    Brian DesRochers
    Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
    Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
    Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

Thanks so much for the information. I was thinking of a Brown Jean cloth with Black cuffs and collar trim for my coat. However, I like the blue as well but not real sure if that would be historically correct.
      My deccendants were in this regiment as well as Texas. Thanks so much again.
      Mark Pike

Comment

Here is a pic off an auction site:
        Attached Files
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Mark,

What time frame are you looking to portray? The regiment's service can be broken down like this:

1861-May 1862: Regiment served along MS Gulf Coast
          May 1862-February 1863: Vicksburg Garrison
          March 1863-February 1864: Served in Loring's Division in Mississippi until evacuated during the Meridian Expedition.
          May 1864-End of War: Served in the Army of Tennesse

If you are looking at an impression from late 1862 onwards, a shell jacket like the so called "Columbus Depot Jacket" will work very well. Several examples of this jacket survive from men who served in the Vicksburg and Port Hudson area as well as the Army of Tennessee.

The Frock Coat saw some service as well, there is fragmentary evidence that the State of Mississippi was issuing Frocks to it's soldiers in the western theater during the last half of 1862 into early 1863 as this example will show:

This record is from the CSR of Capt. J. Bradford, Co. G 3rd MS Inf.

Feb. 10th 1863 (at Vicksburg MS)

22 Overcoats @ $18 ea
          28 Jackets @ $12 ea
          5 Military Coats @ $15 ea
          28 pr Pants @ $5.60 ea
          28 Shirts @ $1.75 ea
          28 pr Drawers @ $2.50 ea
          28 pr Shoes @ $6.00 ea
          28 Hats @ $2.00

As to how these frocks were trimmed, if at all, is unknown.....

Will MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
            Nice find. Sgt John Cherry, the 3rd's color-bearer who was killed in the assault at Franklin.
            Brian DesRochers
            Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
            Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
            Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

Great image! The 3rd is a unit very close to my heart as well. Other than the information found in Grady Howell's book, I have not been able to locate anything.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Thank you so much. Y'all have provided some great information. I am trying to protray an early war look. From 1861 through the Vicksburg campaign. I am striving to try to be as authentic as I can and I thought it would be great to follow in my desendents footsteps. So any points tht everyone has are welcome.The photo is excellent. These are hard to find.
                Thank You,
                Mark Pike

Comment

Working...
                X