Brown Leather Accoutrements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Leather Accoutrements

Is this authentic or is it just plan farby? I have been out of the hobby for a while and am wanting to get back in slowly. So, therefore I'm in the market for some confederate leathers. Thanks in advance.

Zech Gilbert

Re: Brown Leather Accoutrements

I'll give my two cents worth - it kind of depends on what theater you are doing. I think brown ones would be more common in the Trans-Miss, especially from the Houston Depot. I have seen examples of undyed or just oiled accoutrements but I would think the majority would be dyed black. I'm sure someone else can chime in here with some better records or statistics though.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Been awhile since I saw the source, but I believe the Augusta, Georgia Depot produced some undyed cartridge boxes.Some were made of pig leather. Ethan Rodgers used to produce reproductions of these, but I don't know if he still does.
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Ken Knopp and I wrote an article that covered Confederate leather colors and I think it will answer your questions. Here is the link http://confederatesaddles.com/cswp/?p=342

Now let go into what I have found since we wrote the article. I started finding CS leather gear that was made from mixed colors within the cap pouch, or cartridge box and etc. What I mean by this is a black cartridge box with a russet pocket there is also a Baton Rouge Arsenal box that has the grain side out except for the body of the box which is waxed. (For information on leather finishes http://confederatesaddles.com/cswp/?p=616) I do not think the makers of equipment were concerned with color of the leather just that they had leather to make the gear for the troop in the field. The most Confederate impression would be one with mixed black and russet equipment, but that is my opinion.

David Jarnagin
        Leather Researcher and Conservator

Comment

Working...
        X