Knapsack size & blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapsack size & blanket

Hi all, I just bought a federal pattern knapsack, and I want to use it for campaigning, instead of strapping a giant hobo roll to my back. Now my question is, how does it all fit in there?

I carry the following camping equipment (not listing the personal items as they are small enough not to be important for this question):

1x lighter weight grey blanket with head opening to function as a poncho, on top of the knapsack instead of a greatcoat.
    1x heavyweight army surplus blanket (grey) in the main compartment against my back
    1x lightweight shelter half, not the 5-pound abominations, in the main compartment
    1x rubberized poncho folded under the flap for easy access.

It hardly closes and even the blanket in the main compartment pokes out from every corder, could it be that the blankets they used back then were smaller and thinner? I have been camping with two wool blankets for years, but I find two thick wool blankets to be the minimum to camp in over here (northwest europe) because it can get very cold at night. What am I doing wrong? It simply does not seem to be made to carry even a single blanket.
    Eduard Dekker
    Netherlands

Re: Knapsack size & blanket

Here is an article from the 26th North Carolina How To Pack A Knapsack & Blanket Roll

Here is another article Knapsack and Haversack Packing 101 by Kevin O'Beirne, Columbia Rifles.
    Last edited by Lewis Robinson; 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM.
    Lewis M Robinson Jr
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

I read those before, but I just can't get it to fit. Perhaps wartime blankets were smaller?
      Eduard Dekker
      Netherlands

Comment

Ditch one of the blankets and the shelter half.
        Brian DesRochers
        Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
        Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
        Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

You are suggesting that I sleep with only one blanket and a poncho in 41 degree F damp weather? Can't do that. What I normally use for sleeping is the poncho as a groundsheet, the half as a top cover, and myself rolled in the two blankets. Anything less than and I would not be able to sleep in this weather. It would be a very bad case of hypothermia.
          Eduard Dekker
          Netherlands

Comment

The federal double bag knapsacks were not designed to fit 2 blankets. I would recommend getting an overcoat to attach to the top of the knapsack. I have slept "comfortably" with two pairs of socks, night cap, rubber blanket, issue blanket, two shirts, fatigue blouse, and overcoat in subfreezing temperatures.
            Lewis M Robinson Jr
            Armory Guards
            Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

But it was designed to carry a blanket, shelter and an overcoat, right? I am simply using a 2nd, lighter, blanket instead of an overcoat which I don't have. The main compartment simply seems very small for a blanket and a shelter half, even just fitting the blanket in there takes some effort.
              Eduard Dekker
              Netherlands

Comment

You might consider posting the exact blanket sizes so people can judge or putting the lighter blanket in the bag and the larger on the top.
                The overcoat option is a good one.
                When I used a double bag knapsack,the issue blanket style from FHW, fit perfectly.
                Now I use a Short's pattern and both my old blanket and the new one I purchased from S&S fit perfectly with my ground sheet under the flap and my shelter half in the pouch, all protected from rain.
                Perhaps your knapsack is at fault, in the end, not being of the right dimensions.
                Precise dimensions and some research is indicated here.

Erik Simundson
                Erik Simundson

Comment

Hallo!

I have read, and reread this thread twice to dispel the notion or impression I was getting that the question keeps coming back to something along the lines of "How do I take a modern need and make it conform to CW Era equipment and practices?"

And then not liking the Period-based answers.

For me...

Part 1: the material.

I will either use the Childs Federal blanket folded squarish and stuffed into the one knapsack bag. it fits in my U.S. or English knapsacks with care. Or, in Winter I will sometimes fold it not so squat, and place it between the bags along with the folded shelter half and the folded gum blanket. The greatcoat is worn. When cold enough, I may supplement my drawers by wearing my second shirt.
                  The Childs' blanket or the Wisconcsin Vet "Weissert" blanket being a bit thinner fits either way a bit more easily.

I have rolled the blanket and carried it on top, with the greatcoat straps, but I dislike the weight and lack of balance of a heavy blanket that high up.

Part 2: the methods.

Yes, the "materials" may not be sufficient, especially in Winter.
                  So, one can look at how CW soldiers, using the material they had, supplemented it to get buy.

Buddying up and bundling. One man alone will shiver, two men bundled with added body heat and double bedding not so much. Four men even less
                  so.
                  Erecting shelters.
                  Using fires for warmth.
                  Heating stones in the fire to sleep with, then reheating them when they have lost there heat.
                  Layering what clothing one has- the extra shirt, the extra drawers, the extra socks may be as mittens

Part 3: wrong expectations.

IMHO, one of the biggest causes of cold is failed expectations. Those expectations being that one is going to get the same nice, solid, 8 hour block of restful sleep one gets in one's modern bed in one's climate controlled house. Expecting the same, one is less tolerant in the first place, and most of all unused or unconditioned to the reality of a 19th century world.
                  Sometimes in extreme cold, one huddles around the fire all night under one's blanket catching 40 winks catch-as-catch can, or not. And pays back the Sleep Deprivation during the day whn there is no duty call and sun is out or the temperatures slightly warmer.
                  Some call this.. "Embracing the Suck."

Part 4: humor and bragging rights.

The psychology or mentality of the thing is a big factor. "Embrace the Suck," hate or curse the moment for being In the Moment. But a bunch of pards laughing and joking about their discomfort huddling an dshuffling arund a fire makes for great Bragging Rights and Tall Tales fo rmany years to come.

In 18th century widlerness endeavors, we have had ONE blanket plus only our wits and Nature as low as Minus 6, 8, and 12 F. Yeah, it was not the same as our modern beds in out modern houses, especially when the Wind Chill was Minus 60. But, we got by, with all body parts intact.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well said Curt.

The only thing I can humbly add is that I have found period references that advise not wearing every article of clothing you have to bed when sleeping in cold weather. Especially, don't wear your overcoat to bed. Instead, strip down to your trousers, socks and shirtsleeves, lay on top of your extra clothing to insulate from the ground and sleep beneath your blanket (and overcoat in extreme weather). I've tried it and can attest that it indeed works. (Incidently, this also jiives with modern cold weather camping practices.) It is even more effective when bundling with a pard.
                    Paul McKee

Comment

Call me Crazy, but I stripp completely down. Removing all my clothing. I then dry off, and put on a dry set of drawsers, shirt, socks. Before bundling back up. Dampness is the number one problem in staying warm, in my opinion.

S.D.Swart

Comment

Have you tried Blanket in compartment, rubber sheet under flap, blanket on top with shelter half wrapped around it? When I carry overcoat, blanket, shelter half, and poncho I usually wrap the shelter half around the blanket and strap it on top, with the overcoat folded and placed under the flap with gum blanket, not inside the four fold compartment. This is especially true when I am using the frame with the pack.
                        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I am a skinny Reb and I like two blankets as well. However, do not put both blankets in the double bag. Instead carry one in the bag and do a blanket roll as well. Also, like Lewis said, loose one blanket and cover up with half of your ground cloth, it traps in heat and keeps out moisture. I also sleep in less clothes like Mr. Swart said, my dad showed me that trick as a kid when we camped. It never made since to me then because you would think more clothes the better, but less is better. But make sure to put your clothes in the blanket with you so they aren't wet or freezing when you go to put them on in the morning, haha.
                          Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
                          Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Comment

I need two blankets to be warm as well. I wear a pack AND a blanket roll. One blanket in the pack and the other in a roll. Plenty of documentation for that as well including the drawings of A. C. Redwood.
                            Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Hallo!

I would add to Herr Paul's comment...

Yes. What one needs to learn, and learn by researching, experimenting, and doing, is to find how to make Period Correct choices from historical options that work for you.

Based upon our body morphology, health, conditoning, age, and "regional climatization," we can all "feel the cold" differently and have different personal tolerances and threshholds.

I was referring to extreme cold. Two of the worst things one can do are:

1. "Go to bed" wearing wet or damp clothes.
                              2. Wear too many clothes (hense knowing how to layer up and down to match the weather and the exertion) and end up sweating oneself damp

Both will convect heat away from the body makng one colder.

One aside... wool is remarkable in its abiity to wick moisture away from body, and in itd abiity to retain 80-85% of its heat retention value even when wet.
                              Howver, while there are times when wearing wet wool is a plus, there are extremes of cold where one is better off naked in dry blankets (one such instance documented in the 18th century). And some mdoern survival manuals recommend a person who has fallen through ice in water be stripped and then wrapped in blankets and/or bundled with another naked person or two... ;) )

I have done several April and November events where the temps were in the low 30's. I found that I was toasty warm lying dressed on my blanket on my gum blanket, with my greatcoat used as a blanket not a coat.
                              But again, that is just me with my expectations, tolerances, threshholds, and regional weather ranges... so others' mileage will vary...

Curt
                              Curt Schmidt
                              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                              -Vastly Ignorant
                              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                              X