Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Shiloh? Read this first.

Gentlemen,

I found a really interesting research project on Shiloh. It seems unbiased and well researched with an excellent use of maps and photos.

Disclaimers:
    I'm not an expert on the battle, so I can't verify all the information given.
    I don't know if there is any slant for one side over the other.

That said, take a look:

Comments?

Gary
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: Going to Shiloh? Read this first.

Once again, the Navy gets a phrase only. No mention of how the Navy saved Grant's army (according to Halleck and Lincoln's friend, Leonard Swett). No mention of the gunboat psychological warfare during the night. No mention of the First Battle of Shiloh the month before, between the US Navy and a Louisiana regiment.

Great images, though. The photo of Nelson is in his US Navy lieutenant's uniform.
    Last edited by Union Navy; 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM.
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
    William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

I enjoyed the article and presentation but regretted that the author neglected to include proper citation and documentation of sources. It tends to eliminate the wikipedia-taste.

Nathan Day

Comment

Youre right Bob! I think we should do a smaller event for the 1st Shiloh!
        Ken Latham
        Bon Aqua, TENN
        Independent Rifles
        Duck River Squadron

Comment

Working...
        X