Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For First Event

Hello all,

After spending a year or so staying quiet and doing research here and in the library, I've decided to take the plunge and attend a campaigner event. I was wondering if anyone would have a reçcomendation for a good first event. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff Wysong
    Jeff Wysong
    Breckinridge Greys

150th Shiloh
    Corinth-Shiloh Memorial March
    150th Perryville Preservation March

150th Gettysburg
    1st Tennessee Provisional Regiment Adjunct
    150th Chickamauga
    5th Confederate Infantry, Company E, AOT Adjunct

150th Bermuda Hundred
    150th Pickett's Mill

Re: Looking For First Event

Hi Jeff,
    This is just my 2 cents, but if you're going to take the plunge, I would recommend an event like Marmaduke's Raid or a similar physically/mentally demanding event. Have a look in the events folder and peruse the guidelines and event details. No better way than baptism by fire! Good luck to you!
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

If you cant make Marmaduke's, I would recommend the Perryville adjunct to be held later this year. It looks like it's close to your home and Im sure you will enjoy what you find there.
      Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Jeff,
        Brandon and Mike offer very sound advice. It wasn't until after 8 years in the hobby that I did my first immersion event, (TAG). You learn real quick what is right and what is wrong. I just wish I had the sense to do it the right way from the start. Don't stop the research, ask questions and have fun.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do Marmaduke's because of work, but Perryville is a definite, including the Preservation March.

Thanks,
          Jeff Wysong
          Jeff Wysong
          Breckinridge Greys

150th Shiloh
          Corinth-Shiloh Memorial March
          150th Perryville Preservation March

150th Gettysburg
          1st Tennessee Provisional Regiment Adjunct
          150th Chickamauga
          5th Confederate Infantry, Company E, AOT Adjunct

150th Bermuda Hundred
          150th Pickett's Mill

Comment

Perryville would be an excellent choice for your first campaigner event-The Western Federal Blues are a good bunch-very welcoming and helpful and run a good battalion. Plus at Perryville you get to do everything on original ground-always a plus. If you opt for this I recommend reading a good book on the battle beforehand-it will greatly increase your understanding and enjoyment of the event.
            Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Jeff, if you are thinking about Perryville and you are on facebook...look for the 24th Illinois campaigner adjunct. Come join us. Check out the website for more details as well. http://24thillinoisperryville150th.m...etwork=fw#1011
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by 10TnVI View Post
                I recommend reading a good book on the battle beforehand-it will greatly increase your understanding and enjoyment of the event.
                The book that I would recommend is Perryville, The Grand Havoc of Battle
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                X