Unit Designators for Volunteer units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Designators for Volunteer units

As you can see by my 'handle', I have an interest creating a persona as a member of the rather obscure Florida Union unit called the Florida Rangers [infantry]. From what little I can find to date, they were a real rag, tag, and bobtail bunch of volunteers made up of Unionists who had refugeed out from the Peace River region to Useppa island in Charlotte harbor, with barely the clothes on their backs...

When first mustered in late 1863, they would have had, at best, bits and pieces of uniform and equipment. A year later, in 1864, when folded in the 2nd Florida US Cavalry, they would have been issued more regular uniforms and equipment.

My question is: In that first year, as volunteer irregular raiders, fighting CS regulars and irregulars, what sorts of 'unit designators' would they, could they, have worn? Something that would say "don't shoot this guy, he's on our side". Would they have used colored sashes or hat cords? A ribbon or a rag tied on their upper arm? Is there any photographic evidence of such designators?

Ken Hulme
    aboard S/v Dulcemore
    Fort Myers, FL
    Last edited by FloridaRanger; 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM. Reason: add sig
    Ken Hulme
    aboard S/V [I]Dulcemore[/I]
    Fort Myers, FL

Re: Unit Designators for Volunteer units

"Florida Ranger",

I have approved your post so it will be seen on the forum, but must point out that one of the cardinal rules on the A/C is that each post MUST be signed with your full name. It is best to go into your profile and set up a signature line which makes this action automatic.

Also, as to the content of your message, I would encourage you to use the provided search engine for certain key words or phrases which may help you with your answer.

Enjoy your search and welcome to the A/C!!

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Howdy Florida Ranger:

I have studied the subject some. Without digging notes I will give the cliffnotes version. The majority of the data you seek is in George Buker's "Blockaders, Refugees, and Contrabands: the Civil War on Florida's Gulf Coast" in which he documents the US Navy's effort to arm the Florida unionists on the gulf coast, including the nacent "Florida Rangers." The best evidence available suggests they were indistinguihable from teh general population. The book notes a case where florida REserve troops, without uniforms, found themselves encamped with a group of these unionists near Cedar Key, also without uniforms.

In early 64 the Rangers were expanded into the 2nd Florida Cavalry Regiment USA. This unit raided Fort Meade in the spring, then in May struck Tampa, then in the summer raided toward Brooksville and Bayport.
      IN the Brooksville Raid the Fla. Union troops were confused for Confederates by some locals, suggesting they were not fully equipped. By the end of 1864 however, the 2nd Florida Cavalry Regt's enlisted men were supplied with the following (culled from microfilm records, and register's of deceased effects):
      forage caps
      infantry coats
      fatigue blouses
      drawers
      dismounted trousers
      shoes,
      Enfield Rifles
      Infantry Accouterments
      shelter halves

According to a statement published in some local history books, the regiment was never mounted, but served as infantry despite its original designation. the quartermaster data I've seen mentions standard US infantry garments. No mention of greatcoats. Insignias, in the form of company letters for the forage caps, were only issued to the regiment in mid-1865, after the war.
      According to Lt. Wm. McCollouch of the Fla. unionists, the 2nd Cav. US lacked basic camp equipment during the war, tho' they were isued shelter halves. The men made up their own camp equipments at Cedar Key, etc. A muster roll for Co. F shows almost all the men were charged for the loss of their canteens. I've often wondered if these weren't the source for the material to make up their camp wares...
      IN the Natural Bridge campaign of March, 1865 many references note surprise at the complete equipments of the Fla. Union troops, with their blue suits, etc.

The Florida union forces are certainly the best impression for Gulf Coast feds in the late war period. Pro-Union guerrillas were active on the coast much earlier, particularly after March, 1862...

cheers,

Archie Marshall
      Tampa
      James "Archie" Marshall
      The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
      Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks Archie; The cliffnotes account is a great starter. I'll be searching out Buker's book.

Regards;
        Ken Hulme
        Fort Myers, FL

Comment

Howdy Ken,

also look up Cantor Brown's "Florida's Peace River Frontier" for more on the union crackers, etc. Back to Buker's book; he notes that in early '65 the 2nd Florida Cavalry dispatched some small groups of three or four men into the interior from the coast. Some men of each party were in uniform, and hid out during the day, etc. Others were in common citizen's dress, to move among the population to gather recruits, intelligence, etc. In the Natural Bridge campaign in early 65, a few of these small parties were put out to destroy railroad bridges (unsucessfully). Another of these parties was scattered by Capt. Leroy Lesley of the Cow Cavalry in the skirmish on the Hillsborough River in mid-1864.
          All told, I get the impression the Florida unionists had no particular insignia other than their federal weapons, prior to reorganization as the 2nd fla. CAv, and as noted above, event then saw some advantage in blending in with the locals...
          The diary of William McCulloch of the 2nd Florida Cavalry US can be read here: lots of details on the travails of the Florida "tories" and the 2nd Fla. Cav. USA on the gulf coast; movements, etc.
          http://www.lamartin.com/history/william_mccullough_diary.htm
          I used to interp a unionist, or soldier of Co. B, 2nd Fla. CAv. US (as infantry) at mid-Florida events in the 90s, and would occasionally draw incredulous remarks from other reenactors because the idea of a Cracker who was not a Confederate, or a federal who is not a yankee, is beyond the common reenacting paradigm, but made for great conversations with the public, and I've often met descendents of the Florida unionists...
          cheers,

Archie.
          James "Archie" Marshall
          Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks Archie; Canter Brown's books have been central to my research for the historical novel I'm writing that's set in the Peace valley 1867-1871.

I just finished reading Buker, and read with particular interest about those 'detachments' sent out under orders to be partially in uniform and partially in civvies so as not to spook the local populations. I got the understanding that the Rangers, and other groups like them, didn't even have federal weapons, and probably did not until after being re-organized as the 2nd Florida Cav. As Rangers they were being "supplied" by the Navy, not the Army although they were technically an Army unit. And supply seems to have most often meant transportation and a hot meal rather than guns and ammo or anything else more military.

I'm seriously considering starting a living history/reenactment group here based on the Florida Rangers prior to the group becoming the 2d Florida. Unionists deep in the Rebel South! Civilian reenactors on the skirmish line with a crazy assortment of weapons! The mind boggles.
            Ken Hulme
            Fort Myers, FL

Comment

Regarding the guerrilla action around Fort Myers, etc., there is a novel published in the late 19th Century by US Navy veteran William Winslow, "Cruising and Blockading" which I thought was a fun read. This is a novel, but based largely on his own recollections of service on the south Florida gulf coast. for example, compare his novel's description of raids up the rivers after chapter 11:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HRV...der%2C&f=false

to this official record in which Winslow distinguished himself on an expedition in Charlotte Harbor in 63:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Kjp...uadron&f=false

Cheers,

Archie
              James "Archie" Marshall
              Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRanger View Post
                I'm seriously considering starting a living history/reenactment group here based on the Florida Rangers prior to the group becoming the 2d Florida. Unionists deep in the Rebel South! Civilian reenactors on the skirmish line with a crazy assortment of weapons! The mind boggles.
                Howdy Ken;

The best part is... the Confederate forces in South Florida were not equipped any better after late 63. On the old "Cow Cavalry" website, there was a quote by Jacob Summerlin's son that the folks in south Florida wore coarse, cotton homespun (they called it osnaburg, and he mentioned it was like heavy linen), dyed almost black with wild indigo as it was all that could be made up locally. I recall too, a reference to one of the Cow Cav. men captured by the 2nd Fla. Cav US at Fort Meade in early 64 in a "dingy" sack coat, chip hat, and armed with a shotgun. Col. Munnerlyn of the Cow Cav. later noted he recieved no clothing or equipment from the CSA! In the Battle of Fort Myers in early 65, there is one reference to the Cow Cavalry men tying badges around their arms to avoid friendly fire.
                My point being, the impression you mention would work just as well for the CS forces in the region.

cheers,

ARchie.
                James "Archie" Marshall
                Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                X