Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long were havelocks worn?

As the title above says. How long were havelocks worn? I know
    they were none-issue but I was curious how long soldiers kept them.
    The most threw them away or used them as a coffee-filter or other
    practical uses. Personally,I would fold it up and put it in my blanket
    roll or knapsack. I would rather walk with it for four years then get sunburn.

And till which time-period will it be authentic to wear them?

Please Note:

Frank, remember: You must sign your real first AND last name with every post.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Johnson; 05-25-2012, 03:40 PM.
    [I]Frank Janssen[/I]

Re: How long were havelocks worn?

Frank,

Welcome to the A-C!

In reading your question, it is very general. Could you be more specific? Are you attempting to portray a particular unit at a particular place/time? Do you mean how long would one havelock last one soldier under conditions of typical use? ...or for what time period can you reasonably wear one appropriately in a portrayal.

These are the types of details that should drive your thinking regarding such questions.

Imagine a question like "How long were dark blue trousers worn?"
    Proper answers could be "the whole war", "3 weeks, while on campaign", or "not after June 1862" because the question doesn't specify.

Sorry to sound nit-picky, but this kind of information is necessary to get you a good answer to your question.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Personal experience: About 20 Minutes. Thats all I could take.
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

Hello, I do remeber that in the book "Echoes Of Glory " Union that a soldier wrote that a Women's aid society sent his unit havelocks. I do not have the book near me at this time. But he did write to the effect that they wrote a "thanks" to them. An then tossed these articles away.
        Philip D. Brening
        Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
        3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
          Frank,

Welcome to the A-C!

In reading your question, it is very general. Could you be more specific? Are you attempting to portray a particular unit at a particular place/time? Do you mean how long would one havelock last one soldier under conditions of typical use? ...or for what time period can you reasonably wear one appropriately in a portrayal.

These are the types of details that should drive your thinking regarding such questions.

Imagine a question like "How long were dark blue trousers worn?"
          Proper answers could be "the whole war", "3 weeks, while on campaign", or "not after June 1862" because the question doesn't specify.

Sorry to sound nit-picky, but this kind of information is necessary to get you a good answer to your question.
          I understand.

I portray two units,6th Alabama and 1st Maryland (Confederate). My question is
          how long a havelock lasted with normal use and how long it was used by both sides.
          Did they stop wearing them in 1861,or are there any reports of soldiers wearing them
          in 1863 by example. So in fact the last two questions you gave in your post.

Also. I have red that some Confederate soldiers used handkerchiefs as a improvised
          havelock and neck wear. Do you know which fabric they were made from and where I
          can buy authentic fabric?

Kind regards,

Frank
          [I]Frank Janssen[/I]

Comment

Wasn't Bragg seen wearing one during the Kentucky Campaign? That alone would be enough to put the rest of the personnel of the AOT off them, forever.
            David Fox

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, it might be useful to look at havelocks in context, and then look at what research and documentation might exist for their presence or use in the
              6th Alabama or 1st Maryland. For example it is said that one of the 6th Alabama conpanies initiall\y wore raccoon hats *Raccoon Roughs"
              (Company "I"??)

Havelocks being NUG a non-standard, non-mass issue, non-governmental, non-regulation thing, this can come down to perhaps trying to take an exception and look for a rule to universally justify one from 1861-1865 no matter what extant documentation, time and place of the unit being portrayed? Along the lines, maybe, of such things as white canvas leggings or "bullet proof" vests, etc., etc.

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

It wasn't that they were an inconvenience to carry...I have read several accounts that they were tossed because they cut off airflow to the back of the head and neck, intensifying the heat beating down on the back of the neck.
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Havelocks work great in desert climates (which is what they were designed for) as they do keep the sun off the back of your neck (I know some archaeologists in Egypt that still wear something akin to a modern havelock), but in humid Virginia (or where have you) they become hot houses. It didn't take the soldiers long to figure that out, but as Mr. Wickett said it really depends on what unit you're protraying, where, and under what conditions. I personally kept my last havelock on for about an hour at 150th Bull Run before I threw it away and put on a straw hat. There's really no reason to carry it around. And as the C.R.R.C. has shown the soldiers were all pretty tanned, I think after a few weeks in the field they would have burnt less. So all in all, there's really no reason to keep it very long in the field. Just my honest opinion as an experimental archaeologist.
                  Patrick C. Salland PhD

69th New York Co. A
                  The Washington Guards

"Men are only children of an older growth" John D. Billings

Comment

Working...
                  X