Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Blue Grey Kersey

Hi Everyone

A couple of questions on the English imported blue grey kersey.
    Does anyone know which firm in Manchester England produced this
    cloth ?
    And what did the British army use it for,when the standard British coat was scarlet ?

Many thanks
    Dave Burt Co G 18th VA ACWS UK
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: English Blue Grey Kersey

Originally posted by DBURT
    Hi Everyone

A couple of questions on the English imported blue grey kersey.
    Does anyone know which firm in Manchester England produced this
    cloth ?
    And what did the British army use it for,when the standard British coat was scarlet ?

Many thanks
    Dave Burt Co G 18th VA ACWS UK
    Greetings,

I e-mailed an English uniform researcher acquaintance of mine about your question but he wasn't aware of a Manchester firm that produced this type of cloth. Are you perhaps thinking of the Irish enterprise of Peter Tait?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by markj
      Greetings,

I e-mailed an English uniform researcher acquaintance of mine about your question but he wasn't aware of a Manchester firm that produced this type of cloth. Are you perhaps thinking of the Irish enterprise of Peter Tait?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Hi Mark

According to surviving records the first shipment of this English Army Cloth used for enlisted clothing was purchased in Manchester England by Major J B Ferguson in April 1863.This is according to the New Richmond Depot catalogue by Chris White
      I always thought S Issac Campbell of London produced this Cloth.
      Iknow Tait Also used the same Cloth,but did his firm produce it or was it imported from England
      Dave Burt ACWS England
      David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

A couple of questions on the English imported blue grey kersey. Does anyone know which firm in Manchester England produced this cloth ?

Abimelich Hainsworth company, textile producers in England, still produce the same blue-grey cloth that was shipped through the blockade, and also used in the making of the Tait jackets. County Cloth's old "K-7 Kersey" came from this source.

This material is currently being produced for the manufacture of overcoats for several British Guard regiments.

As for the standard British coats, they weren't all red. Various regiments in the Queen's service differed widely from one another in their uniforms. There was a great deal of uniformity within the regiment, but from one to another, there were often significant differences... Compare, for example the uniform of the Coldstream Guard with that of the Black Watch to the Queen's Household Cavalry. With respect to the dress uniforms, many of the Queen's regiments are still that way.

Way over in Limerick, I understand that the oiginal records of the Peter Tait Company are still stashed somewhere, if anyone has an interest in that direction...

Tom
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Hi Mark

According to surviving records the first shipment of this English Army Cloth used for enlisted clothing was purchased in Manchester England by Major J B Ferguson in April 1863.This is according to the New Richmond Depot catalogue by Chris White
          Iknow Tait Also used the same Cloth,but did his firm produce it or was it imported from England
          Dave Burt ACWS England
          Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. You might want to contact Mr. Ron Field, a countryman of yours, as he is currently working on a book about Confederate uniforms, equipage, &c., &c. Here is his e-mail:

RDFSWELL@aol.com

Tell him Mark Jaeger sent you. I'm currently supplying him interesting information from the Jackson, Mississippi "Weekly Missippian."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark
            Many thanks for giving me Ron Fields email address.
            I got a reply from him this morning, and he thinks that the blue grey Kersey was used for British army trousers at that time.
            I think I might have found out who the Manchester Firm was who major JB
            Ferguson bought the first lot of material from,Ithink it was Alexander Collie &
            Co, who had a factory in Manchester at the time.
            Of course if anyone has any further information......
            Dave Burt ACWS UK

Comment

I am not real sure but I think Brit overcoats as well as trowsers may have been made of the B/G cloth. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere in some article I read about Brit uniforms and equipage many years ago, but for the life of me can't recall which one.

Comment

Has anyone compared the English Army Cloth from England with the product being manufactured in the US? I have seen it in two thickness from several different vendors.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim,

Did the Coleman 6th SC Tait jacket originally have wooden buttons in place of the current SC state buttons that now decorate it? It seems to me that I viewed an earlier picture of the same jacket and it had wooden dish buttons.
                  Has someone altered the jacket?

Also I have done alot of searching but, I have found no other photos of the ACW era English Blue Grey Kersey. There have been many stories in both theaters that SC troops were identifiable by these unique uniforms, to possibly include the 26th SC in the Mississippi Campaign.
                  Gregory Deese
                  Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                  "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Here is the url of the firm :

[I]Gettysburg 1993
                    Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Greg,

Just as a point of clarification, Coleman's jacket is a Type III. The jacket, when discovered in a building in Chester, SC, already had the SC buttons attached. There's no way to know what originally came on it unfortunately.

As for the good QM Major in England, we must remember that Ferguson was sent to England by Lawton to handle the QM purchases for the central depot in Richmond. He also arranged shipments into Texas too I believe. He was extended a line of credit from the Erlanger loan out of Paris and began dealing with several "houses", Alex. Collie being one. Collie, like I&C, were dealers per se and didn't always manufacture their own goods but rather contracted them from the makers themselves. They were the true "middlemen" if you will. Now, Ferguson arrived on the scene in 1863 and immediately got involved in a turf war with Caleb Huse who was purchasing for the Ord Dept since 1861. Even in 1862, Huse purchases lots of English and some French ordnance goods but also shipped QM goods like, trousers, blankets and overcoats on his own. This was part of the rub. If you'll consult the last volumes of Confederate Correspondence in the ORs you'll see that in 1862 he shipped some 8000 pair of trousers and a similar number of overcoats. In the first few months of 1863, he already has 13,000 pairs of trousers purchased and awaiting shipment. From all of this, I believe English trousers and other goods, but not jackets, were making their way into the Confederacy before many people think. Hope some this helps.

Regards,

Neill Rose
                      PLHA
                      L&W
                      Last edited by Iron Scout; 08-28-2004, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Neil is right - as has been covered before, US Navy OR's mention captures of blockade runners with imported blue gray cloth (wool) in both bails of uniforms and raw cloth in late 62 on the Texas Gulf Coast. These are fascinating reading - will attempt to find the old thread. Some of the cloth received left Houston for the east but was prevented from crossing the River by Dick Taylor, and was made up into uniforms in the early Spring of 63 by troops in Louisiana. Several descriptions survive.

BG kersey was being made up into uniforms in the TMD as soon as it began arriving.

Remember also that some RD 2 jackets in the cloth exist, such as the Marsh jacket in EoG (NC officer) that dates from before May 63 (owner wounded at Chancellorsville).
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Im not certain that S. Issac and Campbell made anything. I am under the understanding that they were more or less a surplus dealer.
                          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

So it's possible that the English BG Kersey could have been seen in the TMD, Charleston, and the ANV all at once? Albeit in different forms from early 1863 onward. I will try to locate my Union reference about those SC boys in their "bluish" uniforms.

Thanks Neil.
                            Gregory Deese
                            Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                            "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

That's right, Greg. From the evidence we have at this time, it looks like it was most likely in the TMD first, in late '62, and made its arrival in the East a little bit later, around the Winter and Spring of 1863. However, a while back, I did find a reference to a uniform shipment to the East from Europe in 1861, (and posted it here) but there were not enough details given as to the type of cloth used.

Personally, I think we need to see more of the stuff on CS reenactors in all theaters, but there are still those around who seem to think that if it's not jean, it's farb.
                              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Working...
                              X