Protection in Bad Weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection in Bad Weather?

what is the best protection (shelter piece) for the REALLY bad weather? u.s. gum blankets are small and self destruct fast. common available painted cloth doesn't roll or unroll well (i.e. my poncho), tentsmiths makes light oilskin tarp, but I don't know how authentic they are...
    for the good weather, I roll my blanket in a rubber blanket, but how common were they for c.s.???

thanks.
    Dennis Watson,
    east tennessee
    Dennis Watson

Re: Protection in Bad Weather?

Dennis,
    Welcome aboard. As a disclaimer I will say that I know relatively little about CS stuff. That said, keeping dry with CS equipment is a little more of a challenge than with federal gear.

I'm not sure of your background, or who you reenact with, but some general things apply here. First of all, look at what was documented for the outfit, and the period/theater or the war you are portraying.

Once you've got that dialed in, you can look to your options. If federal gear is an option, US gum blankets that are properly made, should be quite waterproof, and last for many, many years. CS oil cloths should be pretty water proof, and you should be able to get one that is pretty supple. If you have one that is made well and correctly, it should be easy to work with, and keep you pretty dry.

I can't speak to any product made by Tentsmiths, but a properly made and sized oilskin tarp MAY be an option, depending again on what is documented for your time period and impression in the war.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Comment

Painted cloth is the best you can do. In a pinch carry two. You will never be able to stay dry so in the oft quoted wisdom of the boards, "embrace the suck". Protect your tack first and yourself second. You will be glad you did. I carry a Claud Sinclair oilcloth which is awesome and doubles as a rain cape

Comment

Our pards kept a tent fly that we could through all our stuff under for several men and their gear. Gear was always first. I kept a oil cloth for me when doing C.S. I stayed dry while curled into a ball. No fun, but it works. You will never be completely dry but neither did the soldiers you are portraying.
        Jerry Ross
        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

I'll offer a bit of personal experience, FWIW. I used to do 18th century trekking in the Adirondacks in winter (read really freakin cold), I have spent many nights sleeping under the stars with nothing more than 2 English Blankets ( the white ones with blue stripe) and a painted ground cloth folded over and tied shut (sleeping bag style) if available lay down a bed of pine boughs. You can sleep quite comfortably, and several times I've awoken with several inches of snow on me. The coldest I slept out this way was recorded at -15F and while not as comfortable, I survived. Word of caution about oilcloth, it picks up dirt and debris like crazy.
          Your Humble Servant,
          Sean R. Otis
          124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
          MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
          Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
          at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Comment

Another option is a so called "floor cloth" if you are doing certain CS impressions and maybe some Union too. And a personal observation, I have found that storing your gum blanket on your belt allows for easier way to grab it while on the march.
            Philip D. Brening
            Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
            3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Working...
            X