Sibley Stove Setup Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sibley Stove Setup Questions

I group of us just picked up a new sibley stove. I am shopping for the stove pipe now. Does anyone know if 4" stove pipe fits to the stove or is fitting needed to make the first connection work? Also, for use with a sibley tent are any elbows needed? The tent has the proper tripod stand. I was looking at order from the link below. Local placed do not have anything in black pipe smaller than 6". Any other suggestions from those that set up one up could be helpful.

http://shop.gascoals.com/productDeta...014&position=1
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: Sibley Stove Setup Questions

If your stove is made right the stove pipe should fit right on the top of the stove. That bit on the top of the stove - again, if properly made, should have enough taper to fit any variance in a 4" stove pipe. If you can find surplus US army stove pipe for tent stoves, that would be even better. No elbows are needed, or anything else. I think it is best if you have at least one section of stove pipe sticking out above the top of the tent. Brush up on your profanity, for it can be difficult to get new wood into the stove in a manner that will bring it into contact with that already burning - but when you get it going good, and the sides begin to glow - it will really heat the place up!

You can get GI stove pipe here, rather affordably... http://store.colemans.com/cart/4-in-...ons-p-127.html
    Last edited by fahnenschmied; 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM.
    David Stone

Comment

David,
      Thank you for the reply! I ordered it through George Macgillis. I fully expect lots of swearing especially during the first set up and use. That is probably memorial day weekend which likley it will not even be needed. Some years the nights are cold so we will see. I am pretty excited for a local event we do in October to see that thing glowing red and actually being warm for once there!

That link is going to save us a lot of money! Thank you!!
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

You'll need swearing for setting up the tent - I set up the tripod, hang the tip of the pole on the hook, and scratch a perfect circle on the ground. Then I temporarily peg the tent out - the rip it up and put the pegs in closer or farther to adjust it to the right size. And then laboriously beat in all the pegs. After that putting in the stove is easy as pie!
        David Stone

Comment

Yes, the stove pipe should fit. In 1972 my father and I bought original stoves that were being used in an orange grove. I have dealt with these stove since that time. All that I have a 4" pipe fits. I still have approx. 40-50 of those stoves. They are stacked so hard to get exact count.

Please Note:

Welcome to the AC! We have a few rules which can be found at the top of the different folders. One rule that is different than other forums is that we sign our real full name to our posts. The best way to do this is set up an automatic signature line in your profile settings.

Last edited by Jeremy Bevard; 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM. Reason: missing signature
          Shirley McMillan

Comment

I am sure many would like to see some photos of the original stoves if you were able to share!

The stove pipe did work and the stove worked great inside the tent.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Does anyone have a good picture of the Sibley Stove shelf? Or were those even period?
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
              Old Northwest Volunteers
              Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Denis Anisimov

Comment

Working...
                X