Commercial Brass Polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Brass Polish?

I have been looking at little things to enhance my federal staff officer impression and realized I don't have any kind of polish. I looked through the AC archives and have seen several posts about what soldiers used to polish their brass, especially wood ash. I recall reading somewhere that a soldier asked for a lump of rottenstone from his wife in a letter. Were these the most common materials for polishing brass? Were there "commercial" polishes that businesses sold? Any information would be great!

-Austin Bajc
    Austin Bajak

Re: Commercial Brass Polish?

Flour of emory and a little bit of olive oil will make a super bright shine.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

If you are looking for commercial and non military examples, you might try googling 1860 advertisements. Spend some time looking through period newspapers (like Harper's Weekly" and see if you can find an advertisement for metal or brass polish. That will give you a starting point. You may be able to find someone who makes a repro label or even a repro tin. I think I have somewhere a copy of a period label...if I run across it I will let you know. Happy hunting!
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Here's from a period Naval Ordinance Manual.
        266. To Clean the Mountings.—For iron and steel parts, use fine emery moistened with oil, or emery cloth. For brass parts, use rotten-stone moistened with vinegar or water, applied with a rag, brush, or stick; oil or grease should be avoided. The dirt may be removed from the screw-holes by screwing a piece of soft wood into them. Wipe all parts with a linen rag, and leave the parts slightly oiled.
        The oil was olive oil and some instances called sweet oil. Crocus cloth was also available for fine polish as well. A British manual for the '53 Enfield I have greatly discourages use of brick dust on case hardened parts such as the lock plate as it will eventually wear away the hardened surface making things more susceptible to rust.
        Mike Stein
        Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Thank you for great information. I'll definitely start looking through old adverts and see if I find anything.

- Austin Bajak
          Austin Bajak

Comment

Hallo!

The Navy instructions just above it...

265. To Clean the Lock.—Wipe every part with a moist rag, and then a dry one; if any part of the interior shows rust, put a drop of oil on the point or end of a piece of soft wood dipped into flour of emery; rub out the rust and wipe the surface dry; then rub every part with a slightly oiled rag.

And a "loose flyer:"

Rust on Guns.

In keeping a gun from rust always use animal oil and never let a gun remain rusty long. If a soldier wants to clean a rusty gun, he should first procure fine sand, which is easy obtained after a rain in water courses, mix it with oil, then scour all the rust off, if any rust remains it is apt to poison the iron and cannot be got off without great labor. Perspiration is a great enemy to iron; a soft tallow candle is good to prevent rust, and to kill rust first rub the rusty place with tallow, then put it in the sun shine, when it gets warm then rub the rust off, if the rust leaves a stain or holes always scour it out—lard oil is the best oil we can procure now. Always after a days shooting wash your gun out, wipe it dry inside and outside, then if the sun is shining put it in the sunshine and when warm wipe with a little oil; it is bad to oil the inside too much, for it will dampen the powder and render the gun useless until the charge is drawn; when the ball is drawn fill the barrel with water and let it remain for a quarter of an hour and then you can wash all out. One oiled rag can be used many times without adding oil to it, always prevent the air if possible, from getting inside of your rifle. I wish to give our soldiers as good advise [sic] as I can, hoping my advise [sic] will benefit them. Although old and not in the field, I wish to help as much as possible, and in a few days you will hear from me again.
            H.

I fully endorse the above as my experience in rifle shooting, &c.
            E. H. Rogers.

DAILY CONSTITUTIONALIST [AUGUSTA, GA], July 9, 1864, p. 2, c. 1

I think the spirit of the question might be more geared toward the officer with money and access to be able to get commercial products that might not be available to lowly enlisted men in the field quite as easily. Or for that matter a ranking officer's 'batman" or "servant" soldier doing polishing for the officer.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Found my labels. Try searching for "Lustro Beware of Imitations" and "Pride of the Kitchen for Scouring". These should give you some commercially available products.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Among the items authorized for sale by sutlers in the Revised Regs (p. 529) are emery, crocus, and rotten-stone. In my experience rottenstone works better than Brasso. You can get it at a painting supply store or online. Use it with vinegar or by itself for a touch up. A plain wool rag helps, too, although I've gotten a lot of use out of a domet flannel remnant.

You might find some appropriate products in the advertising in the Army and Navy Journal: http://books.google.com/books?id=7KN...page&q&f=false
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Austin, There is a woodworking tool website that offers rottenstone in a 1 lb. size for $5.95. The site/store is Tools For Working Wood; phone 800 - 426 - 4613 ; email support@toolsforworking wood.com. They are based in Brooklyn, NY. Go to SHOP and then to BOOKS< DVD'S and PLANS. Under the Woodworking section you'll find a few reprint books that may be of help , or interest to you. Good luck. Don't forget your button board when polishing.

Dennis W. Duerbeck

- - - Updated - - -

Austin, I forgot to direct you to the rottenstone. That will be SHOP > WORKSHOP ACCESSORIES > FINISHING.

Dennis W. Duerbeck
                  Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

I picked a small carton of rotten stone at Ace Hardware years ago, and I have barely used any of it. A little goes a long way.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

What is the concesses on polishing gun barrels. I have found several respected sources stating that both sides spent lots of time polishing their gun barrels to a shine, so that a column of infantry crossing a field looked like" melted silver on a field of green".

Most formal and informal ( Federal)unit tin types appear to should shined gunparts and brass plates.

Bill Sanders
                      William Sanders

Comment

Are you asking for suggestions on what to use? There is a product called rottenstone which can be found today and sold by sutlers then. Another option is white ash from a campfire and some spit.
                        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                        Civil War Digital Digest
                        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Hallo!

I believe the question was looking for a consensus on the prevalence or commonness of the practice or requirement that longarms be polished rather than allowed to darken (brown or blacken) naturally in use.

(As a side note, I would just add that the "1863" Confederate Ordnance Manual prohibited the burnishing (metal on metal polishing) of barrels because it was felt it damaged them.)

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                          X