Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on Haversack construction

Gentlemen,
    I received the following email today. As this is far outside my area of expertise, I wonder if someone could be kind enough to help a young man. Somehow I suspect that the answers will be far and wide of what he suspects they may be.

Hello my name is Sean and I am in the 8th grade at Clark Moores Middle School. I have to do a Civil War project and my teacher (Mrs. Sharon Graves) gave me your email address and said you might be able to help me with some questions I have on Haversacks. Did the wives work in sewing groups or mostly by themselves to make haversacks and other things that where needed? What were some personal items they kept in them? What type of fabric was used in making the Haversack? Where can I find sources for my project and bibliography? Is there any other information that you can provide? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Sean Moberly
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
    Emily Burns[/FONT]

Re: questions on Haversack construction

One private message has been passed along to the young man. I very much appreciate the quick response.

I wanted to maybe add a little more about what these kids are doing during their 8th grade year here in Madison County, Kentucky. All the students in Mrs. Graves class chooses a project. They begin these in September. They are responsible for research, bibliography, etc. Some projects will be completed as videos, models, quilts, flags, drums. They become the experts. After school, from about February to May, we have expert sewists stay after school when they have finished Sewing 101. They make dresses, shirts, petticoats, aprons and other articles of clothing that they will wear living history weekend in May. When the time comes, some of the previously mentioned projects will become stations. Other students will become tour guides, leading 4th and 5th graders from surrounding counties through an all inclusive tutorial on the Civil War. I've been watching this process for several years now. By the time living history is over these kids really own their knowledge. We generally have one or two each year who come back and volunteer at the battlefield long after their 8th grade year is over.

I apologize for leaving such a lengthy post. I wanted to share a best practice from where I live. Information shared with kids like this means a whole lot more than a grade on an assignment!
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
    Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

I'm late to this party but maybe these attachments will help. The haversack of L.pdf
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
      Palmetto Living History Association
      [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
      October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Emily,

No Post is too long if it involves any sort of instructions or help to these students. Mrs.Graves needs an "huzzah" for her efforts. Being at an Elementary School myself, ( I'm not a teacher), the wife and I do our part for the 4th Grade classes just before their field day trip to Gettysburg. Do they have any other project questions?

Dennis W. Duerbeck
        Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Working...
        X