It's hard to keep a good jacket down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's hard to keep a good jacket down.

Okay, so the Federal MSJ has pillows to keep the enlisted jacket from riding up. Some confederate shell jackets had side '"epaulets" that buttoned for the same purpose.What did most officers do to keep a shell jacket in place? My lieutenant wants me (the company tailor) to fix this problem for him.

I know officer uniforms were private purchase and didn't follow the strictest design standards so maybe it doesn't matter too much how we accomplish this, but I still would like to know if anyone has seen a period correct solution.

I can attach pillows, buttons or borrow the confederate "epaulet" style, or…?

Thanks in advance,

G
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: It's hard to keep a good jacket down.

One Federal cavalry officer's jacket I saw had two vertical toggles attached at the bottom of the rear seams, where the pillows appear on enlisted jackets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gtowncavshell.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	224161
    Last edited by FranklinGuardsNYSM; 03-11-2014, 10:22 PM.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Re: It's hard to keep a good jacket down.

Thanks Marc.

I was thinking of using buttons but the toggles are an interesting choice. I appreciate the picture.

Anyone else able to weigh in?
      Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
      9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
      On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X