Shoe repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoe repair

I have a pair of english import shoes in need of repair, and I have tried to contact Pat Cunningham several times with no response. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for making a "field" repair because I need these shoes for an event in a little over two weeks. I have tried the wrapping of twine around the sole, but if came off fairly quickly. Any advice helps! Thanks in advance.
    Julian New
    Julian New
    26 NCT
    Rumpus Regulators Mess
    "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." -William Tecumseh Sherman

Re: Shoe repair

Without knowing what needs to be repaired it is hard to help you. If just the sole has become loose you can fix it by driving clinching nails through the sole, upper and insole on an iron shoemaker anvil. Pegging would be better but therefor you need a pegging awl and pegs. A new half sole can be attached the same way. Glue as support would be helpfull.
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Yes, forgot to add what was actually wrong. A layer of the sole is peeling off.
      Julian New
      26 NCT
      Rumpus Regulators Mess
      "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." -William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Short term solution = strong adhesive or glue to the affected area
        Long term solution = cobbler...find a shoe repair shop near where you live and get the pair re-soled. I have a pair of Missouri Boot & Shoe pegged sole Donelson boots which the shoe repair shop here was able to re-sole. Not sure now they did it, if they re-used the pegs or cut new pegs? Point being, it can be done without shipping them back to England.

Or alternately, leave it as is and flap when you walk. Soldiers make mention of the phenomenon all the time in period accounts.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Like Craig said, I found a local cobbler who would do leather half soles and he fixed a pair of Brogans for me on a rush job. Others I know, like Robert Serio are backed up and would take longer, but it would certainly be done right.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hallo!

As Herr Jan shared, it can hard to diagnose when the shoes are not in hand.

In the spirit of a Quickie, Modern Day, expedient repair only in the interest of time...

If the soles are sound and not worn enough to be replaced and-

IF the sole is separating because the pegs have swollen and shrunk due to time and wet, I have repaired a number of shoes for lads in the same boat by using BARGE brand contact cement to bond or bind and clamp the sole layers together. Then using wooden match sticks "greased" with 5 Minute epoxy, replaced missing pegs or using tweezers pulled out loose ones and retapped them back in once covered with a light covering of epoxy.

Again, definitely NOT a Period repair, but if one does not want to deal with a period problem, it can help you get by in the moment.

Curt
            Looking the Other Way Mess
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X