This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartridges: Bullet Fillers

I think this fits in well here, but if need be please move.

I'm curious on what people have used to replicate bullets in cartridges.

I've tried the cotton ball, the rolled TP, Just wondering if anyone else as used anything else with success.
    John Schut (Sgt USMC)
    10th Tn Co D, WI

Re: Cartridges: Bullet Fillers

Good question! I've been thinking about that lately. I even thought about making wax bullets with a mold. The wax would have to be strong enough to withstand a hot event. I don't think it would be a safety issue, but you could glue it into the paper tube or make an inner powder tube. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Wahler. As required by forum rules, you are required to to sign your full name to your posts. Please also consider this as your opportunity to review other forum rules. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators
    Last edited by Silas; 03-19-2014, 01:50 PM. Reason: Signature rule violation

Comment

Hallo!

By and large, the use of a 'filler' for the ball is in taking up space in the cartridges' length.

SAFETY issues demands that whatever it is NOT be loaded (aka "rammed") and the filler is discarded. (A longer discussion about "ramming" cartridge papers.) And the second issue is having something that can become a projectile or have projectile mass "down range" if, as some sometimes do... get carried away in the heat of the moment... and rams it.

Once Upon a Time, my pard wanted to increase the noise of blank rounds used for firings at demo's and parades. And thought casting and loading Minies made of wax in modern Minie ball molds as used for live fire and presentations. He, we, all figured the wax would melt with the discharge and get harmlessly vaporized..
      When we got to the Review Stand and formed a line to fire, he loaded his first and we "elevated" high over the spectators lining the street. He took aim on a street light and fired.

The street light shattered at the impact of the wax Minie showering glass down onto the street.

Curt
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-20-2014, 07:18 AM.
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

In direct response to Herr Schmidt's post regarding the dubious nature of wax bullets. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	224179
        Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

Curt, that is one of the greatest things I have ever heard.
          Marc A. Hermann
          Liberty Rifles.
          MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
          Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

on my dowel I use to roll rounds, I have marked the length of the minie ball and the full length of the tube. Then I use a cotton ball, a whole small one or a half of a large one is about right. Works well for me, but as others have said don't ram it. Just my $.02
            Paul Wolbeck, Captain
            33rd AL Inf

Pvt. Ezra Walker
            36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guard

Comment

I hope you have found an answer to your question. With what we do there is a some level of risk but by discussing safety and thinking clearly we can reduce much of that risk. I think of this hobby (especially this end of it which the forum represents) as a brotherhood and with that we must watch out for each other and think of each others safety.

I think the posts have answered that there are few safe ways to represent a "bullet" in the blank cartridges we use as well as what not to use. After toilet paper and cotton balls there is not much else that can be used while still confidently keeping intact the safety of our brothers at events.

To ensure that message stays clear and intact I am closing the thread.
              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
              Civil War Digital Digest
              Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
              X