A hello and thank you from a new guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hello and thank you from a new guy.

Hello folk. I have been reenacting for just slightly over a year now and have just made a AC account in the past couple weeks. I am a part of a mainstream club out of Northern California. Shortly after beginning reenacting I found the Authentic Campaigner Facebook page where I posted photos of my impression and asked for feedback. I had seen the AC site before but felt to intimidated by it to make an account and post so I posted on the FB page which to me seemed a more open. The replies numbered in the hundreds and gave me a wealth of information that I wouldn't have not learned otherwise. Through peoples help the Authentic mindset came over me.

Since then I have worked very hard on my impression in buying quality gear, wearing everything correctly and working out to improve my look. After about a year I would say besides a few minor things my impression is completed. Of course you can always improve but I think I have it mostly down. These pictures are of my generic AoP impression. I was wearing my gear a bit experimentally in these ones with the gum blanket tucked over my belt and the bed roll over my knapsack. I would appreciate it if you folk could leave feedback.

The First photo is the first picture I put on the AC FB page about a year ago and the rest us current.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	934069_626188360744266_1267165554_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	231032Click image for larger version

Name:	BjdisVtCcAA80sw.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	231029 Click image for larger version

Name:	BjdieNYCQAA46Ip.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	231030 Click image for larger version

Name:	BjdibGOCAAAcd8C.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	231031 Click image for larger version

Name:	BjdiwkECcAAhP_A.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	231033

My equipment list. I have only listed my really high quality gear. The rest is mainstream gear that im working on replacing in time.
    Forage Cap - Dirty Billy
    Frock Coat - NJ S****la
    US Issue Blanket - S&S Sutlery
    Under Drawers - Wambaugh White and Co

I would like to thank the folk from Authentic Campaigner for helping me when I was a newbie and gave me the mindset that helped me enjoy this hobby to its fullest in my opinion. My first campaigner event will be Picket's Mill in a couple of months. Its going to be quite the trip flying over from California but im sure it will be worth it. I look forward to seeing you guys there.
    Last edited by Kyle O'Brien; 03-24-2014, 09:00 AM.
    Kyle O'Brien
    Northern California : ACWA

20th Maine Co.G
    4th Virginia Co. A
    3rd US Artillery Co. B (1861)

Re: A hello and thank you from a new guy.

I remember seeing your photo on FB. I didn't think your impression was too bad then but it does look better now. Personally, I put my blanket between the envelopes of the knapsack and get it off my shoulder and body, especially for warmer weather. But, if it's full with another blanket then this would be a good way to carry that extra one. And I always carry my gum over my belt because it's easy to get to and I don't have the weight of it on the back or the heat gathering properties of it if in a roll. It's good to read posts such as yours from folks with a desire to get it right. I guarantee you will have a blast at Pickett's Mill.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Welcome Aboard Kyle!

You will have a blast at Pickett's Mill. It is one of my favorite sites for an event. Be careful along the road to improvement. You might just enjoy yourself!
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

Thanks for your reply. As I had mentioned my set up was a bit experimental in preparation for PM. I personally hate having my gum blanket inside my bed roll for it makes it feel far more bulky and stiff. With the set up in that picture I could have put it in my knapsack but I was wanting to experiment with having it tucked over my belt to see if it would hold in place during battle and cause any discomfort. I have a few more event between then and now to try other methods but im likelly going to go for the simple bed roll and have my gum tucked over my belt.

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
        Welcome Aboard Kyle!

You will have a blast at Pickett's Mill. It is one of my favorite sites for an event. Be careful along the road to improvement. You might just enjoy yourself!
        I really look forward to it. And ill try be careful.
        Kyle O'Brien

20th Maine Co.G
        4th Virginia Co. A

Comment

Welcome Kyle. You are now in the proper direction. You'll enjoy yourself and the times.

Dennis W. Duerbeck
          Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Welcome Kyle, glad you are finding the AC useful. Good luck with your impression and I look forward to seeing you in the field.
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Picket's Mill will be great for you and your furthering in the authentic-end of the hobby.

This is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy it every step of the way! ;)
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes guys! Im really looking forward to it!
                Kyle O'Brien

20th Maine Co.G
                4th Virginia Co. A

Comment

Did you ever get in contact with Ian McWhirter or Ed Simms?
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Kyle
                    I said it then and I will say it now Welcome to the hobby. I remember you from FB as well. Looks like you cut your hair some imho bravo. You look great.. is your dipper Tin?? have fun at PM..
                    Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
                    The Company of Military Historians
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

Apologies for the late reply. Thank you a feel loosing 35th pounds and cutting my hair has improved my impression immensely.And yes I believe it is I will need to check to be sure.

Also im going to post my CS impression here soon. Its the 4thVA early 1862. The Commutation System allows some nice variation.
                      Kyle O'Brien

20th Maine Co.G
                      4th Virginia Co. A

Comment

Working...
                      X