construction details of 1857 cartridge box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• construction details of 1857 cartridge box

I've long been interested in the material culture of years past, and the object of my current mania is the 1857 pattern cartridge box. I have Paul D. Johnson's excellent book on the subject, and have spent the last several days using both the search function of this fine site and google. I've looked at as many pictures of originals as I have been able to find, but have not yet been able to handle an original. As such, there are some gaps in my understanding. I would hope that someone could do me the kindness of pointing me in the direction of books, articles or pictures that could help to decrease my ignorance.

The thing that I am currently struggling with the most is the construction of the seam on the back of the box, where the outer flap joins the main body. None of the photos that I've seen to date show the inside and/or the tins are in the way. What type of stitch is used to join these pieces? Are they "edge-flesh" or "grain-grain"? Is the inner flap also sewn in the same seam, or is it just sewn to the main body at the side seams?

The other thing I'm interested in is the presence of * shaped marks on the boxes. I susspect that these are caused by the manufacturing method, but would like to learn more.

Thank you for anything you could share.

Dorian Butcher
    Dorian Butcher

Re: construction details of 1857 cartridge box

Dorian,
    PM me not only do I own original pattern of 1857 cartridge boxes I also reproduce them. I would be happy to fill you in on how they go together.
    Mike Brase
    Proprietor
    M.B. Young and Co.
    One of THEM!
    Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the kind offer. PM sent
      Dorian Butcher

Comment

The star shaped marks are where nails held the several pieces of leather to a wooden block while they were being hand sewn together. The nails would be removed and a star shaped punch would be used to close up the holes where the nails had been.

Lynn Edward Bull

Comment

Working...
        X