Pinkie on the ramrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinkie on the ramrod

I was curious if anyone has documentation or if its just a Farbism, of placing the pinkie edge of the hand on the ramrod after unfixing bayonets? I think its a Farbism, but I could be wrong, however after reading a few manuals, I cant find anything.
    John Schut (Sgt USMC)
    10th Tn Co D, WI

Re: Pinkie on the ramrod

The following is from The Volunteer's Manual by Lt.Col. Baxter (1861)

From Shoulder Arms:

1. Unfix. 2. BAYONETS - One time, three motions.

The third motion of unfix cannot be executed in the regular time (or cadence), but will nevertheless be done promptly.

(First motion.) Drop the piece by a smart extension of the left arm, at the same time seize it with the right hand at, above and near the tail band. (Fig. 43.)
    NOTE. This figure does not represent the feet correctly, the heels should not be moved. (See also Fig. 44.) observe the dotted line at the muzzle, represents the sinking of the piece and also falling a little to the front.

bayonet4 small.GIF (11098 bytes)
    (Second motion.) Drop the piece with the right hand along the outside of the left thigh to the full extent of the right arm, seize it with the left hand at the middle band, thumb on the rod, carry the butt to the ground near to the left heel, at the same time carry the right hand to the bayonet, seize it at the socket about an inch below the heel of the palm, so that in wresting off the bayonet the thumb may be extended on the blade. (Fig. 45.)
    (Third motion.) Wrest off the bayonet return it to the scabbard between the left fore-arm and the body, (Fig. 46,) place the little finger of the right hand on the butt of the rammer, at the same time sink the left hand to the full extent of the arm. (Fig. 47.)

From Shoulder Arms:

1.Fix. 2. BAYONETS. - One time and three motions.

(First and second motions.) As the first and second motions of unfix bayonets except that at the end of the second motion, the right hand will go to seize the bayonet by the socket and shank, so that the lower (now upper) end of the socket shall extend about an inch above the heel of the palm. (Figs. 60 and 61.)
    (Third motion.) Draw the bayonet from the scabbard, carry and fix it on the muzzle; (Fig. 62,) place the little finger of the right hand on the butt of the rammer.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Tyler, thank you for that, it helped clarify the movement that I felt a little awkward doing. I've noticed that the unit I'm with hodge podges some drill manuals together. Is this typical? I'm going to try to keep this from happening, cause normally its Hardees, and from the research I've done on the unit it used primely Hardees.
      John Schut (Sgt USMC)
      10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

Hi John,
        Glad I was able to help. As far as mixing drill manuals goes, it should not be done. The only time I have even seen this happen was with groups that are not as, shall I say manual savvy.
        Something to consider however, is that different impressions call for different manuals. For example you wouldn’t use Baxter’s Manual for a CS impression. Or use Hardee’s for a 7th Wisconsin impression.

I hope this answers your question and I appreciate the fact that you relying upon historical documentation to dictate the needs of your impressions.
        Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 04-11-2014, 11:57 AM. Reason: I just learned how to punctuate.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Hallo!

In brief and to over generalize...

Period units were often trained by different "drill masters" using different manuals. Particularly early War units for example using Scott's.

In reenacting. often times you find units not as well versed on the particular manual that their recreated unit actually had used. Or, units where their officers and NCO's are not sharp on the manual or any manual. Some use bits and pieces as best they had learned or not learned it. My first unit was a mix of modern military, with a mix of Hardees (I), and with a measure of Boy Scouts. And may be a dash of improvisation and made up stuff.

In my heretical opinion, "drill" has suffered a bit overall in the C/P/H era as the decline of local units in favor of the rise of messes and "event du jour" battalions from across several states or even the country took away from a unit's ability to get together for drill study or practice sessions say every month twelve months out of the year as my second unit had done. And lads just are sometimes not well studied or well practiced and drilled.
          And at the most History-Light events out there, some times "anything" Civil Warish looking works for them.
          It can be a Sliding Scale of Imperfection.

Curt
          Who got to form a brigade size "hollow square" just once Mess
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Both Gilham's and Hardee's manuals refer to the "little finger" being on the ramrod after the command "Return Rammer" is given during loading in ten times and in nine times (respectively). Additionally Gilham's manual has the following to say for unfixing bayonets:

"Lower the musket to the ground as in FIX - BAYONET. With the right hand unfix the bayonet and return it to the scabbard. Hold the musket upright by placing the right little finger on the butt of the ramrod and lower the left hand along the barrel."
            Thomas T. "Tommy" Warshaw III

Comment

The "Pinky Drill" is clearly spelled out in Gilham's Manual,

Unfixing Bayonets (para 128):

128. The soldiers being at a shoulder, when the instructor may wish to return bayonets, he commands:

Unfix - BAYONETS

One time and three motions

First motion. Drop the piece by a smart extension of the left arm; seize it with the right hand above and near the tail-band.

Second motion. Drop the piece with the right hand along the left thigh, seize it with the left hand above the right, lengthen out the left arm, rest the butt on the ground, without shock, and carry the right hand at the same time to the bayonet, with the thumb lower the clasp against the stop, and then seize the bayonet at the socket and shank.

Third motion. Wrest off the bayonet, return it to the scabbard, place the little linger on the butt of the rammer, lower the left hand along the barrel in extending the arm, without depressing the shoulder.

Fixing Bayonets (para 130):

130. The soldiers being at a shoulder, when the instructor may wish to fix bayonets, he commands:
              Fix - BAYONET

One time and three motions

First motion. Drop the piece by a smart extension of the left arm; seize it with the right hand above and near the tail-band.

Second motion. Drop the piece with the right hand along the left thigh, seize it with the left hand above the right, lengthen out the left arm, rest the butt on the ground, without shock, and carry the right hand to seize the bayonet by the socket and shank, so that the lower (now upper) end of the socket shall extend about an inch above the heel of the palm.

Third motion. Draw the bayonet from the scabbard, carry and fix it on the muzzle, turning the clasp towards the body with the right thumb; place the little finger on the head of the rammer lower the left hand along the barrel, in extending the arm.

As Tyler and Curt mention, there is a tendency among many to revert to "Reenactorisms" and practice "Gil'Dee's" because they are to lazy to do some basic research into the appropriate manual for their chosen impression. With today's online resources there is really no excuse. I frequently refer to the Drill Network to find the appropriate and correct procedure for all things drill related.
              Last edited by WpnsMan; 04-11-2014, 04:51 PM.
              Bryan Beard
              Virginian

Comment

Seen here in an original photograph sold by Matthew Fleming of The Civil War Image Shop.
                Attached Files
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

The 23rd VA and the IVR use both Gilham's and Hardee's Revised, but not at the same time. We use Gilham's for early through mid-war ANV, and we use Hardee's Revised for late war ANV.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the response's, This helps out, I always just felt weird doing the pinkie on the ram-rod. but now to get other peoples input and documentation helps me decipher it a a little bit further. I know my drill fairly well, I'm just trying to perfect it as much as I can. It would be amazing to actually see the school of the battalion in full being done, as well as the company. I've read both versions of hardee's as much as I can before going insane with understanding the wording of it. I'm trying to get the right information for portraying a Second Sergeant as well. I've found several articles on it and the use of the left guide. How ever sometimes the manual doesn't explain how or when the 2nd Sergeant moves into position. Any one ever portray one and have any tips to help me out?
                    John Schut (Sgt USMC)
                    10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

If it is the left most company of the battalion, the Sgt. will remain on the left flank of the company/battalion and not in the line of file closers.

If the battalion is wheeling into column of companies the Sgt. will move to the left flank of his respective company as soon as it is un-masked.

If a company is in line of skirmishers, the Sgts. remain in the line of file closers while at a halt. At the command FORWARD the first and second Sgts. move to right and left flanks respectively as the guides for the company.
                      Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM.
                      Tyler Underwood
                      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                      Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Tyler, now my question is if the company detached from the battalion or alone, which I feel would be rare, where does the Second Sergeant place himself, on the end of the company trailing as a one man file or stay in the line of file closers when the company right faces? Sorry to digress, what manual has the men returning to order arms automatically after unfixing bayonets?
                        John Schut (Sgt USMC)
                        10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

I can't remember offhand what Gilham's says, but in Hardee's revised you automatically return to order arms if ordered to fix or unfix bayonets from that position. When ordered to fix/unfix from shoulder arms, you hold after completeting the actions until given another command.

Comment

If it is a company front, the Sgt. will be on the end (left flank) of the company. When he does a right face the Sgt. will simply face to the right by slightly lifting the right foot, and raising the toes of the left and pivoting on the heel’s.
                            Off the top of my head Casey’s and Hardee’s both return to order arms after fixing and un-fixing bayonets as long as the command was given from the order. If the order was given from the shoulder the rifle remains out in front barrel to the front with the piece approx. eight inches from the body.

Here is page that one of our long time moderators, Mark Tackitt created. It has all the drill manuals you would ever want to read on the page, plus a lot of other enjoyable reading to improve one’s impression.

Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 04-12-2014, 07:32 AM.
                            Tyler Underwood
                            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                            Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Thanks for the Advice,

I found this link to drill net article http://www.drillnet.net/2SGT.htm Helps out greatly but nothing will be able to replace the most valuable thing, using what its read and applying it correctly. I used Mark Tackitts's page for countless research on drill and manuals, I just needed some help incase I was missing the section after reading and reading.
                              John Schut (Sgt USMC)
                              10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X