M1841 rifle metal finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1841 rifle metal finish

I'm starting the defarb of my 1841 "Mississippi" rifle. I'm wondering about the surface finish that was originally used on the brass parts. The gleaming, brightly-polished finish looks really good, but were they that way originally? I would think the parts were probably a little more subdued with a texture more like national armory bright on the steel parts of other weapons. What is the preferred finish? I also assume that the brass should assume a patina over time. Thanks, Fred

Dear Mr. Chapman, welcome to active participation in the forum. A cardinal rule of the forum is that you sign all your posts with your full name. Please take this opportunity to review the recently updated rules. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators
    Last edited by Silas; 05-11-2014, 08:58 AM. Reason: signature violation
    Fred Chapman
    Robinson's Battery, 1st Michigan Light Artillery
    Terrell's Dragoons, 4th Mississippi Cavalry

Re: M1841 rifle metal finish

I am not aware of a specific "regulation" as far as the brightness of the brass hardware, but a safe bet would be that it would not be highly polished to a coin luster. Most military arms have more of a satin finish as you point out, like the "armory bright" finish on other US model rifles and rifle-muskets.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

There is a saying in the Navy that if it does not move, paint it. If it is brass, shine it. I know that is not an army reg but the same type of people that like shine are now and always have been in the military. In camp they may have had some shine to the parts for inspections but would not normally be allowed to remove them for brightly shining. Once campaign started and parades stopped, other things were more important. Unless someone has a period letter or other evidence talking about shining brass I wouldn't worry about it. I used a Mississippi for a long time and it is not hard to put a little luster on the butt plate, patch box and barrel bands to prevent staining.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

A complex subject, and one our Collective Knowledge Base is lacking depth in...

In my Heresies, little is known beyond the look of what appears to be minted unissued and untouched surviving examples. That coupled with illustrations of the arsenal machinery that did the work, work records that talk about men polishing/finishing parts such as the Richmond Arsenal work records, and arsenal inventories of materials gives this somewhat shallow impression or picture perhaps better than none at all.

Barrels were burnished on machine using multiple vertical metal rods or rollers.. metal on metal. That is why barrels on (mint) originals, along with iron/steel issues, is why barrels are not as "shiny"
        as other furniture or parts. (But NOT as dull as the Italians were making them misunderstanding this a few years back!!!)

Brass furniture was polished much the same as it is now, with powered buffing wheels using emery as polishing grit. These polishing machines were NUG water powered, leather belt driven affairs.

And that is typically one of the differences between then and now.. that being that the Italians use (by comparison) much higher speed progressive buffing wheels thanks to electricity and more exotic buffing compounds. And, therefore, tend to produce all the way up to near chrome-like or mirror-like reflective surface treatments on steel or brass.

The other difference is what has happened to the gun since it left the arsenal or factory in terms of:

1. Period field maintenance such as brick dust, emory, fire place ash type polishings or scourings. Or in some rare cases with brass, vinegar.
        2. Post CW and Modern collectors, dealers, or reenactors using modern methods (abrasives and or chemicals) to restore shine by removing patina.

Others' mileage, and heresies, will vary....

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks fellas, that gives me some backing to what I felt was the case.
          Fred Chapman

Comment

Okay, so here's "Part B" of this question: what is the favored method of achieving this finish? Scotchbrite? Silicon carbide sandpaper?
            Fred Chapman

Comment

Hallo!

A hard question, IMHO.

The new out-of-the-box Italian finishes do vary by maker and over time. Basically, the NUG tend to be way to modern "shaving mirror" bright. Plus, an d/I have never proven or verified this.. they tend to have a coating or finish/treatment on them sometimes that gives them an artificial "urine yellow' look.

Next comes a Mental Picture type decision related to trying to create a Believable Image and where on the Sliding Scale one's impression lies. Meaning, if one sees oneself and tries to present one's impression as a seasoned veteran campaigner, then perhaps a shiny new out-of-the-box pristine weapon is not the best choice (exceptions so noted, as soldiers did receive new weapons at times).

Once the brass and steel has been dulled or "muted' a bit to reduce the Italian factory work, one can then let time, exposure, use, and Nature take care of your weapon's appearance- and to get a more Period look consider using Period cleaning and maintenance methods and materials rather than coming back form events and using a buffing wheel and compounds to restore the Italian shaving mirror shine.

IMHO still, the key to all of this is to have the look of a field maintained with Period methods looking weapon and not to have an Italian shaving mirror finish or at best bumper chrome....yeah a dated reference.... :) nor one that is scratched to bits by too coarse of sandpaper or emory cloth.

(Now, arms other than 'bright' or bare metal such as say Sharps rifles or carbines, or sundry Colt or Remington revolvers with their modern Italian metal finishes are another story...)

For me, I use new and worn out Scots Brite pads to "kill" the new Italian factory finishes "out-of-the-box." And then use ash paste for maintenance. However, should a Frog Strangler or Monsoon weekend get the best of it, I may resort to a "quick finish repair" using worn out Scots Brite pads or sometimes 0000 or worn out 000 steel wool and oil to get back the start of a campfire ash paste maintained finish look.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
              X