Scratching names into hat bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratching names into hat bills

Hi, Im wanting to scratch my name onto my confederate kepi bill. The reason being its a dirty Billy's so you can guess the cost. With how easy hats come off I don't want to lose it. So I was wondering if there was any documentation of soldiers doing this. Thanks
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Re: Scratching names into hat bills

Hunter-

Here is an image of Pvt. Thomas Gaston Wood, 11th Georgia Infantry who scratched his initials into the brim of his hat. Keep in mind its backwards and upside down.
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thanks, that what Im looking for.
      Hunter Greene
      ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

Egad! He's a CHILD!
        I'm always surprised to see mere BOYS in these pics.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John-

A child indeed. If the information that accompanied the image is correct young master Wood was an orphan that joined the 11th Georgia Infantry as a drummer and was a lad of a mere 16 years.

It also states he lost his life from disease that first winter of 1861-62.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Great find! I love those 11th Georgia Infantry frock coats. Here's a link to a picture of the Nunnally brothers of the 11th GA. I had the honor of portraying Sgt. Nunnally a couple of years ago at the "Mustering In" event.
            Robert Collett
            8th FL / 13th IN
            Armory Guards
            WIG

Comment

The North Carolina-manufactured forage cap worn my Pvt. Amzi Leroy Williamson, 53rd NCT, is carved into the bottom of the visor "A. L. W." atop "1863". The cap is accompanied, directly from the family, by his second pattern/summer weight North Carolina standard shell jacket, which bears blood staining in the collar and upper back lining. His service records verify his being wouned 1 July, 1863. As part of Daniels' Brigade, Williamson was in action near the Railroad Cut when struck.

Cheers,

Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pvt. Amzi Leroy Williamson, 53rd NCT, Daniel's Bde., w July 1, 1863, at Railroad Cut.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	224324
              Bob McDonald

Comment

Though I believe we answered this question with a couple of dandy examples...both were Confederate. While flipping through Youtube I found this video of a Federal example and thought I would share it because of that.

Follow the link and skip forward to around the 3:00 mark where a soldier from the 88th Ohio Infantry's forage cap is shown with his name etched on the bill.

The most common caps worn during the Civil War. Consisting of: Forage cap, Kepi, McDowell cap, and several "hybrid" versions.All video rights go to Inecom En...
                Last edited by Cumpston1862; 06-05-2014, 12:42 PM.
                Louis Zenti

Comment

The 15th Wisconsin painted their regiment and company letter on the bottom of their caps. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...15th-Wisconsin
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                  X