Rifle Slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Slings

Quick thing I thought of today and I haven't found any info on this.

I'm aware that about 9,000 [from my research] rifle slings were issued to federal soldiers during the war.
    However, I haven't located and was wondering about, is there any documentation about improvised slings made in the field?

Ryan Schuda
    Ryan Schuda
    Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
    Dirty First Mess

Re: Rifle Slings

I'm curious about your source for the 9.000 number. Most of the pictures of Federal troops I've seen show their weapons with slings. For example, you'll find two with Craig Barry's discussion here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...-Craig-L-Barry

Photographs might provide some answer to your question, too. I don't offhand recall pictures showing improvised slings, but there are a lot of pictures I haven't studied closely, many of them here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/cwp/
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Hallo!

Between January 1, 1861 and June 30, 1866 the United States Army made or purchased 265,866 rifle slings.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well let's assume that figure (9,000 slings) is off a little bit or perhaps a typo. The question was whether other items were used in the field or on campaign to improvise a sling for the US rifle-musket. Not to my knowledge but if so, it was not the norm. It seems to have gone the other way, meaning serviceable rifle-musket slings were used for a variety of other purposes like belts, bedroll straps, etc.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I got questions. According to the U.S. Army Odrnance Manuals (1850 & 1860) gun slings were suppose to be 1.25 inches wide, 46 inches long with one standing loop, one sliding loop and with a brass hook, fastened by two rivets. Questions: How many holes? What was the distance between the holes? How were they laid out on the sling? Or were slings just issued without holes and it was left up to the individual soldier to figure that out?
          Mike Fraering

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
            Hallo!

Between January 1, 1861 and June 30, 1866 the United States Army made or purchased 265,866 rifle slings.

Curt
            Hi Curt, Can you share where that number comes from? Thanks
            Scott Sheets
            Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
            Dirty Shirts

Comment

I know several years have passed, but I'm also curious about the numbers of gun slings. I just glanced at ordnance returns for the 1st through 4th USCT for the first quarter of 1864 and every company looks to have about as many "gun slings" as they have muskets. The same situation existed in the fourth quarter of the year. The numbers of guns and slings don't always match, some companies have a slight shortage of slings, some have a surplus. But if these four regiments of U.S. Colored Troops in various duty stations from the James to the Gulf all have about as many slings as guns, I have difficulty imagining shortages in the rest of the army.
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Have never understood why guys don't prefer them.
                Mike Phineas
                Arlington, TX
                24th Missouri Infantry
                Independent Volunteer Battalion
                www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                X