Eyeglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyeglasses

I've been searching through this site looking for resources for period or reproduction eyewear but many of the threads are dated by a year or more. I have grown tired of trying to deal with contact lenses in the field (having already tried the "night-and-day" lenses and everything else under the sun...) but since I have been graced with a melon-sized head, original frames are probably completely out of he question.

Which brings me to my question, are there any reputable makes of reproduction eyewear? I've seen the websites for Jas. Townsend (http://jas-townsend.com/eyewear-c-46.html?osCsid=9119620049d9ab9e9842202de7fb5744) but from my searches on the forum, most say that his "period" frames are actually much thicker than originals. Then there is the Focuser's "McAllister" (http://www.focusers.com/mcallister.html) but the extrordinarily shinny finish makes me weary of their period correctness.

I would rather not bring originals out in the field, not to mention I highly doubt there would be any that would fit my head, and I'm not sure if there are any good reproductions out there. Even then, are there any that would cater to a wider head?

Thanks for any and all assistance,

Bobby
    Robert "Bobby" Novak

Armory Guards

Re: Eyeglasses

Bobby,
    I've been wearing original period frames for every day use for years. I had my prescription lenses put in them and have had no problems with them. I hate nose pads and original frames were the answer. I got them on eBay for $14.00. I also use a tin case when doing living history events and have had no problems with them. Don't be afraid of using original frames.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM.
    Paul Manzo
    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Bobby-

I do not own any glasses from these guys but here is another option.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Just a quick look at both the above vendors, I like the Historic Eyewear Company's offerings better. Focuser's "McAllister" look to be too large in the lens and although from the photos its hard to tell, the bridge appears to be of a style post-dating the ACW. I have a big noggin myself (24-1/4 circumference) and have worn antique 1830-1850's frames comfortably for years. However in the last few years, I've simply gone without as I've never liked the librarian look when taking to the field.
        Paul McKee

Comment

I'm sure you saw this article:

There are a few makers out there that do a good job with repops. However, I found it cheaper to go with originals and am going that route. A word of caution, I'm having trouble finding someone to put lenses in the vintage frames. Others have shared on the forum that they had no trouble. So it's probably just the area I live in.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

If you go the antique route, make sure your frames are secured with screws rather than pins.
            Paul McKee

Comment

Having gone the antiuqe route myself and then discovered the fragility of the leather cased (alas....the case is no longer with us), has anyone found anyplace beside ebay that has period hard cases?
              Jeremiah Boring
              Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

Spend some time on Historic Eyewear's research article at http://www.historiceyewearcompany.co...what-they-wore

I spent several hours in their booth at Gettysburg last year and was impressed with the quality of their work, the variety available, the fit for wide temples ( I also have that difficulty) and their general approach to customer service.

While I'd brought my prescription, it was more than a year old, and they did not advise filling it under those circumstances as its a pretty strange one--otherwise, I'd be wearing them today.

Some of my friends already are.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have a pair of the large oval frames from Historic Eyewear and they are extremely nice. Wal-Mart put my prescription in them. In fact, the eye doc at Wal-Mart looked over my frames for several minutes, marveling at their quality and how nice they were, and wondering why people didn't still use them on a daily basis. I use mine both in the field and for a second pair around the house.
                  C. Scott Brown
                  Co M 1st MO Light Artillery Turner Brigade
                  Camp Commander, SUVCW Sigel Camp #614 Dept. of MO
                  Chaplain, SUVCW Dept. of MO
                  Treasurer, S. Central MO Civil War Round Table
                  Civil War Trust Member

[B]In honor of my paternal Great-grandfather, Pvt. Francis Marion Brown, Co. D, 29th IL Inf[/B] &
                  [B]my maternal Great great-grandfather, Pvt. James Madison Hendrickson, along with brothers Pvt. Thomas Jefferson Hendrickson and Pvt. Solomon Hendrickson, all of Co. G, 99th IL Inf[/B]

Comment

Working...
                  X